• Welcome to The Forum for Gauge 3 Model Trains.

The Gauge 3 Society       2.1/2 inch Gauge Association       Cookies and privacy HOW TO JOIN: to request forum membership please click here

Gauge 3 Society members must be logged in to view the Society section
  G3 Clubroom

Welcome to the G3 Clubroom. This is the friendly online forum where members share ideas and inspiration, suggestions and advice, modelling tips, pictures and drawings, and general chat about our fine hobby of Gauge 3 railway modelling. A warm welcome, and enjoy your visit here today.

Bogie Motors

Started by Peaky 556, Nov 14 2013 00:07

« previous - next »

Peaky 556

It occurs to me that construction of a power bogie would be much easier if someone made a motor, with built-in epicyclic gearbox, that would replace the axle of a pair of bogie wheels. Do you get my drift? The output shaft of say 5 or 6 diameter would pass clean through the motor/gearbox and have a wheel fitted to each end. Obviously the overall length of the body would need to be short enough to fit within the B2B dim, and outboard bearings used.
Regards, Tim

Design one please Tim, I will have 6 of them.

Not too late to rebuild the Peak bogie as only one nearing completion at this time.
Would be an easy retrofit when loco completed.
Mine would require 8mm journals though.

Dave

Geoff Nicholls

ABC gears have produced an axle hung motor/gearbox for gauge 1, which uses the same axle diameter as gauge 3. Has anyone tried using that?  If it is not sufficient, then we need a gauge 3 version, something you can use straight out of the box. My view is it should assume an inside framed bogie,which would be easier to compensate or fit springs.
Geoff.

For an axle hung motor in a bogie it has to be able to be used with wheels outside bogie like a Western or with wheels inside frame like a Peak.  Or driving an external crank. Like on a shunter.
I am well on now with my Peak diesel bogies with all 6 off axle hung geared motors assembled into wheelsets.

Dave

Geoff Nicholls

thank you dave 454, I hadn't thought of westerns, that helps my argument for a setup suitable for inside frames. My aspiration is for a supplier to start producing an traction motor suitable for any loco (or DMU), you just buy two, four or six depending on what you're building. Preferably cheap as well!

Geoff.
Geoff.

John Witts

Hello All

At the Reading '0' Gauge trade show last weekend David White of Slaters had just the thing for Gauge 1 on display, I inquired about a version for Gauge 3, the reply was positive so I invited him if possible to have a sample of a G3 version at the AGM, watch this space.

Regards

John

Here is my latest photo of a completed traction motor ready to be fitted into a Class 44 Peak diesel bogie frame.
There are 6 of them exactly like this one. The wheels are turned from BMS, the inner bearings are steel flanged PTFE impregnated phosphor bronze. The outer are machined brass to slide in horn blocks. The axle is 10mm silver steel with 8 mm journals. The Gears are from HPC gears & are Delrin material. The two motor suspension brackets are laser cut.
The motor is MFA Como drill motor with an integral 4:1 gearbox. There is a retaining collar from Technobots. The motor is suspended from the frame using a coil spring (not shown) but the mounting hole can be seen in the pic.

Dave

Error "The outer are machined brass to slide in horn blocks".
Correction:
Should have read " The outer bearing horn blocks slide in frame mounted horn guides."

Apologies.
Dave

MikeWilliams

Dave,

That looks very nice - so simple and so small it should be extremely adaptable.  The motor looks quite small diameter, have you tested its slow running capabilities yet?

Mike

Mike,
Runs nice & slow & very controllable, but will also have a good turn of speed (hopefully). Will not be able to test traction until I get the first completed bogie on the track. I calculated the revs & gear ratio to wheel size will give a scale 60 MPH. The Class 44/45/46 were capable of 90, but it is not a speed that I would relish at a GTG. Mine will be hauling loose coupled coal trucks at a scale 20 mph.

Another hope is that the Delrin gears will give near silent traction & not sound like a coffee grinder & that the sound card will drown out any gear noise when out in the garden.

The power & traction I am hoping for will be derived from 6 of them all working together in unison.

The weight is climbing as I add parts & build up the supply of bits & pieces. Just hoping that this gives a traction benefit rather than a detrimental hindrance.

The bogie seems to have a smooth roll-ability with little drag on the friction bearing surfaces.

For me Mike this is purely an experimental exercise to generate traction like the 12" to the 1 footers do it, rather than adapt the approach by many in the smaller scales.

I will report back progress in the Peak diesel thread I set up earlier with performance appraisal of the first bogie, photo & Youtube link. This will be a simple rolling & powered chassis but self contained with all the gubbins taped to it.

Plan is for a track test in Jan 2014.

Dave

MikeWilliams

Thanks Dave.

My personal opinion, based largely on 7mm experience, is that weight is a good thing.  Some of the famous huge 7mm layouts (e.g. Norris, Rose, Corner) had locos as heavy as possible - literally stuffed with lead - and Mike May had the same ideas with his locos and stock.

Mike

Peaky 556

I do admire Dave's neat axle hung arrangement and the dedication of using one motor per drive axle (6-off !!!), but can't help thinking it a laborious approach when all the brackets have to be home made and gears & bearings sourced and fitted.  That's why I'm hoping someone would produce a commercial assembly to fit a power bogie.  We may find out at the AGM if Slaters do manage to table a prototype.

Can I ask if anyone has experience of the alternative approach of having a single motor in the bogie, arranged fore-aft with bevel gears at each end to drive a pair of axles?  I have a few chunky motors in my scrap box rescued from cordless drills, car tyre pumps and the like.  They have a body diameter of around 35 - 38 mm. It strikes me that these could fit inside a bogie, and because they are intrinsically large and slow running, will not require a large gear ratio to be engineered.

Regards, Tim

Hi Tim
Discussions with another member at a GTG revealed that a source of other motors was to look at cheapo angle grinders these include the bevel gears. Or use kiddies electric scooter motors.
My motors are heavily modified Chris Barron design & used my laser cut parts & commercially sourced bearings & gears.
They were not at all laborious to make but quite easy & worked without to much fiddling. They will be at the AGM for inspection on the Midlands Group table. OK so there was a cost. None of the items were from scrap bins. This often creates hybridised designs that cannot easily be replicated. The only scrap bin material used were metal hex & round stock for spacers.
I think that i would use this approach again with EM2. Thats another story.

Cheers
Dave

cabbage

Tim,

The best method is to drive the central axle and then take power off to the fore and aft axles with either chains or toothed belts "Maude" uses same system to power her D0 axles. The £2 "RF POTTS" motor is geared down 1:12 and the output passes to the axles below via a chain. Note that the minimum number of sprockets for ideal transfer is 16 -8 can be a bit jerky.

regards

ralph

IanT

Moving my "bogie" question back to this thread Dave.

Like the look of your axle-hung unit (very neat) and need Qty4 similar units for a project. I've been looking at something similar but all spur gears. So questions?

How rugged do you think that 4:1 gearbox will be - and where did you get your MFA unit from?

IanT

PS Of course we can also chat on Saturday!
Nothing's ever Easy - At least the first time around.