Author Topic: NZ Ford Model T railcar plans for 2.5" / 1:22.5  (Read 3911 times)

Offline IanT

NZ Ford Model T railcar plans for 2.5" / 1:22.5
« on: February 09, 2014, 11:37:46 AM »
There are some interesting plans available for free download here:

http://modelengineeringwebsite.com/Model_T_railcar.html

They look to be very detailed drawings and can be downloaded in PDF format (just click on each page to do so). There seem to be five pages in total. Not everyone's cup of Tea perhaps but nice to see something different in 2.5". It's scaled at 1:22.5 and there is a 45mm gauge version for those who prefer it (nobody here I hope!)

I'm not planning one myself anytime soon - but I think I'd stick with the simple mudguard version rather than the one drawn with luggage panniers. The photos provided also look helpful.

IanT
Nothing's ever Easy - At least the first time around.

Offline Geoff Nicholls

Re: NZ Ford Model T railcar plans for 2.5" / 1:22.5
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2014, 06:23:36 PM »
those look very similar to the Ford, Shefflex and Wolesley Siddley Railmotors introduced by Colonel Stephens on his Light Railways in the early 1920'.
Geoff.

Offline blagdon

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2014, 10:18:17 PM »
Very interesting; somewhere I have a badly assembled Brandbright version of something similar this this. I have thought many times about converting it to Gauge '3', but it is well down the ' future projects' list.

Ian the Gauge '3' Pirate

p.s. Anne aka 'She who Must be Obeyed', broke her hip on Friday, so I may not be able to make the AGM if the hospital discharge her before Saturday (Full attendance permission granted if she is still in hospital).

Offline IanT

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2014, 12:05:25 PM »
Please give Anne out best wishes Ian.

IanT

Offline IanT

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2014, 03:02:57 PM »
I've noticed that a second set of plans have now appeared on this site. I had assumed that it was down to the builder to adjust the gauge for the first plans but these new ones do seem specific to G3.

http://modelengineeringwebsite.com/Model_T_railcar_2.5.html

I've not compared the two drawing sets in detail but this railcar does have the mudguards fitted (rather than panniers) which as I commented earlier, I think looks much neater.

Regards,

IanT

Offline Traininvain

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2014, 03:56:54 PM »
If anyone builds one of these can they please do an article for the G3 Society Newsletter
tx
Ian

Offline IanT

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2014, 10:10:42 AM »
Another design has just been published on the MEW site by Julius de Waal - so maybe we are in for a 'series' ?

It is for a 45mm (1:20.3 scale) version of a  Donegal Railbus No. 4 but Julius states that a 2.5" (G3) version "will follow". These are very nicely drawn designs and freely downloadable as PDFs.

You will find the 45mm 'Donegal' drawings here:

http://modelengineeringwebsite.com/Donegal_Railbus_4.html

Regards,

IanT

Offline IanT

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2014, 03:40:46 PM »
For anyone interested, the 2.5" gauge version of the Irish Railbus plans can now be downloaded as PDF files from here:

http://modelengineeringwebsite.com/Donegal_railbus_2.5%22.html

Regards,

IanT

Offline 454

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2014, 04:29:09 PM »
Thanks for the info Ian.

This G3 Soc member may well take up the challenge of building one of these handsome vehicles.

Will make a good stable mate for my Fowler Railbus that has plagued GTG's through the last year or so.
Ideally will run in multiple so turning at the terminus is no longer a problem. The driver will appreciate it as he gets a crick in his neck when driving in reverse.

Got to finish "Kinder Scout" first though.

Cheers
Dave

Offline IanT

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2014, 05:13:50 PM »
You should note that Julius has scaled the whole design Dave - so it's at 1:14.1 on 2.5" gauge.

It would really be necessary to 're-set' the scale to 1:22.6 and adjust the model's gauge "outwards". Quite apart from any hassle in changing the drawing scale (although it could be re-drawn in CAD) - I'm not sure the change over to standard gauge could be done in practice (or at least that it would look quite right). I like the idea though... I've always had a fondness for the Irish rail-buses and they would work well on a Light Railway (Colonel Stephens etc.)

Regards,

IanT

Offline 454

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2014, 06:38:35 PM »
Ian,
When (or if ) I build it the design will be similar but scaled to match my Fowler. It will be subtly different but recognisable as the same if you see what I mean. It will not be authentic but will fit in with the theme. It will please me but I guess it will wind others up good & proper. It will share all the characteristics of an Irish one & a K&ESR one also, & possibly a NER one also or even a French one. At the moment I am not sure what to make it from & have considered bashing it out of tinplate as I recently acquired some to play with. Have been tuning in to "Tinplate Girl" on the internet. It is an inspiration & has given me some ideas to manage this material choice.

The plans are sufficiently detailed to make quite a respectable model.

Dave

Offline MikeWilliams

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2014, 09:37:50 PM »
There were other Model T Fords running on standard gauge, though not railcars so far as I am aware.  So, re-gauging should be possible.

Mike

Offline MikeWilliams

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2014, 10:14:25 PM »
Looks like I made an error.  This is the Ford I was thinking of, and its not standard gauge.  Sorry.

Offline John Candy

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2014, 11:47:51 PM »
Several of the Colonel Stephens group of railways employed pairs of back-to-back bus-style conversions, some Model T Ford conversions, others Shefflex products.

Kent & East Sussex, Shropshire and Montgomeryshire and Hundred of Manhood and Selsey are three standard gauge lines which immediately spring to mind.

John.
My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

Offline 492

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2014, 04:03:31 PM »
A pair of Sunstar (1/24th scale) Bedford OB's back to back would make an interesting, if unconventional railcar. Pity Col. S. wasn't around to try this.

Robert. 492.