Author Topic: putting more Modern Image modelling in the G3 newsletter  (Read 4011 times)

Offline IanT

Re: putting more Modern Image modelling in the G3 newsletter
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2014, 10:24:00 AM »
Hi Geoff,

Many years ago, we were on holiday near York, so I arranged to visit the NRM 'Reading Room' (?) and had a look at various drawings I was interested in. I decided I would have copies of some of them but was a bit over-enthusiastic. It came as a bit of a shock when the Lady told me how much the copies totalled. However, I would think this is probably the best resource available to modellers who want detailed drawings of UK railway stock.

It may also be that these days you can look at this resource online and order it remotely (I haven't checked recently). So whilst it wasn't a convenient thing to do back then, it really is useful to have the actual GA (although of course the engines were not always built exactly as drawn).

More recently, I spent quite a lot of time drawing a locomotive using just photos and estimating measurements from known dimensions (some geometry was involved). I was also just starting out using CAD too. I'd just about finished the CAD when another member mentioned he had the GA's for the loco (it wasn't one I'd ordered at NRM!) and he kindly sent me copies. Of course all my drawings were 'out' sometimes by just a little and in a few areas by quite a lot (my 'CAD' wasn't wonderful either). I was extremely discouraged having spent many hours producing a curates egg and put everything to one side.

A year or so ago, I found the photos and GA drawings and decided to completely start over on the CAD drawings (I'm a bit better at 2D CAD these days). I've just started to cut metal and it is very useful to be able to check the GA for any detail that wasn't obvious when drawing the main components.

So I don't think I would start another 'scratch' design of this nature without having the GAs to hand and I guess a trip to York would be a reasonable investment in time, given how much time can be wasted without them.

IanT   
Nothing's ever Easy - At least the first time around.

Offline 454

« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2014, 11:39:45 AM »
Modern image traction. Diesel.
My rendition of the non-existent "Kinder Scout" D0 or 44 000.
Will be green but we have to put up with primer at the moment.

This is the first morning of RC action today out in the garden. Now placed onto youtube.

http://youtu.be/R4tzEKLoHwg

Hope this whets the appetite for diesel traction, modern image.

Cannot wait to see it pulling a decent train of coal wagons.
But that will be another day. Must get back to the workshop to tidy all the wiring up.

Cheers
Dave

Offline AllWight

« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2014, 12:51:33 PM »
Hi Dave

The you tube footage does not do it justice. I look forward to seeing the peak in the flesh on Saturday

Mark

Offline Andy B

« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2014, 03:46:56 PM »
Part 3: where, oh where, can we get decent GA drawings, hasn't really started yet
Geoff,

I can't tell whether this is a big huff of exasperation because you know the situation and find it just a 'brick wall' to bang your head against, or whether you genuinely don't know and some explanation is needed (the 'inside' view??!!) as to what can reasonably be expected to be found and how to get to it.
This includes an understanding of drawing office practises (past and present).
I thought we'd had this debate on here before, but having done some searches it may have been on another forum .......

Anyhow, I'll try to explain what I can if it would be appreciated.

Andy

Offline Geoff Nicholls

« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2014, 07:51:01 PM »
Andy,
it would be interesting to hear the inside story, especially if I've been missing out on some sources. My first attempts cannot be said to be typical of what happens because the prototypes where a bit obscure: a class 142 Pacer and an AC Railbus (even in my 'Modern Image' guise I prefer smaller branch lines), but obtaining class 153 sprinter drawings proved very expensive and not very useful.
Geoff.

Offline Doddy

« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2016, 07:55:03 PM »
Work in Progress - Will start using Keith Smiths Gloucester Bogies soon (ex-Wallsall Models). But what are the other two items in the photo?

"You don't know what you don't know"

Offline Peaky 556

« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2016, 11:32:16 PM »
Doddy, I see the local yobs have discovered that new ultra black spray paint, that reflects nothing. Or are you modelling a couple of stealth locos?
????

Offline Doddy

« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2016, 06:28:33 AM »
Hi Peaky,

With you knowing very well my extremely slovenly rate of progress over the last two years, a long winded stealthy approach to model building makes sure everybody falls asleep whilst I creep along slowly and catch up with the big boys!  :D

Offline John Candy

« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2016, 06:34:57 AM »
Well, I'd guess that the loco is a class 45 with split headcode boxes.
The item of stock on left looks to be too modern to be on my radar!

Regards,
John.
My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

Offline Doddy

« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2016, 06:52:48 AM »
Well, I'd guess that the loco is a class 45 with split headcode boxes.
The item of stock on left looks to be too modern to be on my radar!

Regards,
John.

Have I been rumbled already?    -    NOPE!    -    NOT YET !

Offline John Candy

« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2016, 07:10:06 AM »
Well, if it's not a 45, then it's a 46?
John.
My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

Offline keith Bristol

« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2016, 07:21:26 AM »
I like that a lot.

In terms of Modern Image bogies, Walsall also have the patterns for the bogies attached to that BOC tanker in the picture.

Happy to help modern image.
K

Offline Doddy

« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2016, 07:32:47 AM »
I like that a lot.

In terms of Modern Image bogies, Walsall also have the patterns for the bogies attached to that BOC tanker in the picture.

Happy to help modern image.
K

Keith.

Your patterns look like Gloucester Mk3's, the ones in my photo look like Schlieren Bogies. If Walsall have these I'd be VERY interested.

Bob