• Welcome to The Forum for Gauge 3 Model Trains.

The Gauge 3 Society       2.1/2 inch Gauge Association       Cookies and privacy HOW TO JOIN: to request forum membership please click here

Gauge 3 Society members must be logged in to view the Society section
  G3 Clubroom

Welcome to the G3 Clubroom. This is the friendly online forum where members share ideas and inspiration, suggestions and advice, modelling tips, pictures and drawings, and general chat about our fine hobby of Gauge 3 railway modelling. A warm welcome, and enjoy your visit here today.

Handrail knobs

Started by MikeWilliams, Jul 01 2009 13:39

« previous - next »

MikeWilliams

When this new web site started John put into the "Product Review" pages a table about handrail knobs.

This seems to show that there is nothing commercially available suitable for Gauge 3, and certainly not for steam powered locos.  If you know of another source, please send details to the Webmaster so the table can be updated and completed.

In particular, since handrails and handrail knobs were usually polished steel, I prefer to make them from steel.  Those from the N2.5GA are very nicely made, but almost twice the size they should be.  I'm tempted to go back to my 4mm standards and use splitpins, but what does everyone else use?

Thanks,

Mike

cabbage

I use the ones from GRS. Sometimes the castings are a little off centre and the holes always require drilling(!) But a little work with a needle file and a pin chuck normally renders them usable.

regards

ralph

IanT

I have not actually purchased them myself (as yet) but Polly Model Engineering (incorporating Bruce Engineering) do steel handrail staunchions for "2 1/2 scale" for 4.20 pounds for Qty 10 off. I've purchased other stuff from them recently (really nice gauge glass with blue line/white background embedded in the glass itself for instance) and it's all been excellent - so worth checking out.

They have a very useful catalogue that can be downloaded FOC in PDF form - and you will find a few useful to G3 things therein - especially if you are live steaming. Usual disclaimers - I'm not related in any way by birth or marriage as far as I am aware etc etc

PS If anyone tries their 'GLNER' transfers - pleae let me know.
Nothing's ever Easy - At least the first time around.

MikeWilliams

Just a reminder that our "Product Review" pages include this list of handrail knobs available.  If anyone had samples not included in the table, please send details to our Webmaster.  There must be several Gauge 1 suppliers who make slightly over-scale fittings which could be perfect for us?

I've not yet found any steel handrail knobs of scale size.

Thanks,

Mike

MikeWilliams

I forgot to add that the table gives prototype sizes from just one railway, but if you know the sizes used by other companies - particularly later period such as BR Standards, please also ask our Webmaster to add them to the table.

Thanks,

Mike