• Welcome to The Forum for Gauge 3 Model Trains.

The Gauge 3 Society       2.1/2 inch Gauge Association       Cookies and privacy HOW TO JOIN: to request forum membership please click here

Gauge 3 Society members must be logged in to view the Society section
  G3 Clubroom

Welcome to the G3 Clubroom. This is the friendly online forum where members share ideas and inspiration, suggestions and advice, modelling tips, pictures and drawings, and general chat about our fine hobby of Gauge 3 railway modelling. A warm welcome, and enjoy your visit here today.

Pneumatic turnout operation and turntables.

Started by John Candy, Feb 19 2014 20:07

« previous - next »

John Candy

After the dreadful weekend weather (including a 50ft tree crashing down....though thankfully not onto the railway) the weather is almost Spring-like and I have spent two days in the garden laying track.

The section being laid is the three parallel track section (where the high level single track meets the double track, low level, main line) and it is a mass of turnouts, diamond crossings and a double slip, all to permit interchange between the branch and mainlines in both directions.

The whole area is to be controlled by Sunset Valley Railroad pneumatic motors (available in UK only from Back2Bay6).

I now need to work out how to link the motors to the Cliff Barker turnouts and the Robin Saxton double slip!

Chatting to Cliff at Biggleswade he said a common method of linking point motors to the switch rail is by a "zig-zag" wire (I remember the Omega loop being the preferred method in days gone by which performed a similar function) but does any one here :

a) use pneumatic point motors (whether the old Del-Air, EZ-air types or current Sun Valley type)?

b) link their point switches (whether manual, electric or pneumatic) using the "zig-zag" method?

Turntables.

I have had the turntable pit cut by Filcris from recycled "Eco board" and they spot-drilled the centre of the pit to locate a bearing for the operating mechanism.
Any suggestions as to (weatherproof/rustproof) source of suitable bearings on which to mount the track deck (or even a drawing of a mechanism)?

Regards,
John.

My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

AllWight

Hi John

I know just the thing for a turn table bearing. I will get a few sealed unit bearings that we use on the 7 1/4 gauge locos and coaches at Moors Valley Railway. I used them for the sector plate fiddle yard on Blackgang. With two heavy trains, finger pressure is all you need to move the sector plate. I will get you half a dozen so you have two for the spindle and two at each end of the bridge of the turn table to give maximum stability and freedom of movement. The rest will be up to you. I can get them to you at the next GTG I see you at.

Mark

John Candy

Thanks Mark.

Those sound to be "up to the job"!

Regards,
John.
My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

AllWight

They are the used ones from the bearings hubs of the coaches etc. They are more than adequate for the limited weight use that you would put upon them in G3 plus they are sealed units that revolve easily.

Mark

dunnyrail

John,
I have been using Air Motors for quite a few years now and can recommend the simplicity of it all. Started with Del Air then when they disappeared went over to  Easy Air and now have some of the ones from Back to Bay Models. All much of a muchness and compatible in terms of Tube Size etc. Key is to buy a Compressor. Largish ones are around £100 mark. I like to put mine in a Building that has a bit of Sound Insulation, they can be noisy when the 'Fire Up'. Though if you have a good capacity one with no leaks in your system they do not fire up too often.
JonD

John Candy

Thanks Jon,

I have a 25 litre Draper compressor (bought about 8 years ago for paint spraying, using various air tools, checking tyres, etc.) which I plan to charge to 90psi and fit a regulator to the output line to limit to 30psi.

It is very noisy when it fires up but, with 90psi in reserve , I hope that won't be too often!

Regards,
John.

AllWight

Hi John

I picked up a dozen bearings for the turntable from the Moors Valley today. When I see you next I can pass them over to you. But you may need to remind me when we get going again with the GTG's.

Mark

John Candy

Thanks Mark.

I will be at Peterborough on April 12th, hope to be at Ampthill on May 3rd and then at GCR on June 21st .

John.