• Welcome to The Forum for Gauge 3 Model Trains.

The Gauge 3 Society       2.1/2 inch Gauge Association       Cookies and privacy HOW TO JOIN: to request forum membership please click here

Gauge 3 Society members must be logged in to view the Society section
  G3 Clubroom

Welcome to the G3 Clubroom. This is the friendly online forum where members share ideas and inspiration, suggestions and advice, modelling tips, pictures and drawings, and general chat about our fine hobby of Gauge 3 railway modelling. A warm welcome, and enjoy your visit here today.

Take two Fords....and now for something completely different......

Started by John Candy, Mar 04 2014 09:20

« previous - next »

John Candy

The iconic Model T, the first affordable, mass-produced, "production line" car from Henry Ford, was in production from 1908 to 1927.
UK Model T assembly commenced at Ford's Trafford Park Works (Manchester) in 1911.
In addition to being sold as a passenger car, all manner of commercial body types became available (vans, flatbeds, tankers, etc.), often conversions of standard "production" vehicles by local coach builders.

My 1:24 die-cast model of a 1917 van came from the USA as a sombre-looking Coca Cola "promotion" model, finished in black.

In the days of oil lamps and house paraffin heaters, there were door-to-door deliveries of paraffin, dispensed into cans from small tankers (they were still around in the 1950's and I can remember "Esso Blue" being delivered to our home in such a vehicle...but not a Model T).

The Model T was a durable vehicle (Vanadium steel was used) and large numbers still survive.

The load-carrying capacity of these lightly-framed 20HP vehicles was comparatively small (10 cwt max. would be about right) so only a small load would be appropriate, having taken into account the weight of the tank and associated structures.
I took the saw and files to mine and cut down the bodywork, replacing it with a small (circa 60 gallon) tank which would be ample for the door-to-door service, where individual sales would be dispensed in pints, rather than gallons.

Wondering how to letter it, I was inspired by a certain Radio 4 programme which my wife was listening to on the wireless!

The transfers were produced using my DTP program and laser printed.

John.
My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

Peaky 556

I was at a show today and met the guy who produces the masters for the Emhar Bedford 'O' Type trucks in 1/24.  He had some on display and I for one was rather impressed so have included a few pics.  These trucks date from 1937 up to the 50's.  He is now working on the Foden later type, which I guess is 50's-60's?  Anyway these are good models for the immediate pre-war to early 1960's modellers and he tells me they cost around £35. He mentioned a forum dedicated to 1/24 trucks, and a site for Nick's truck stop, both of which may be well known to you John?
Cheers, Tim

Peaky 556

Sorry the other pics seem to have been missed off, so trying again... Tim

John Candy

As I am busy building platforms from resin castings (lots of them!) my thoughts again turned to "street furniture" and other incidentals to "set the scene".

To date, I have 4 commercial vehicles appropriate to the inter-war period plus a few suitable cars.

Having just bought three excellent pillar/post boxes and a 1936 postman from Cain Howley, I was looking around for suitable "period" vehicles to convert to Royal Mail vans.

Extensive searches of UK die-cast websites, Ebay, etc. produced nothing suitable in 1:24 / 1:25 scales.

Last time I ordered three Ford vehicles from USA, the post plus import taxes came to more than the cost of the models!

Eventually, I found 1925 Ford model "T" "Paddy wagons" by "MotorMax" being sold by a Dutch hobby shop and this type was used by Royal Mail. http://www.sjaakshobbyshop.nl/
I have ordered two and expect them to arrive soon.
Then on Ebay I found  (located in France) a "Lledo Liberty Classics" Ford model "A" 1933 van in the correct "G R" Royal Mail livery.

The model "T"' vans are in plain black livery, so will need a repaint, my problem now being to get transfers to suit (I already have a can of the correct "Post Office Van Red" by Hycote which was used to spray the phone box).

The words "Royal Mail" are in black so can easily be computer printed but "G R" and the Royal Crown are in gold ..... have not so far found any suitable transfers, having checked Fox and the other "usual suspects"  ........anyone have suggestions?

The benefit of ordering from within the EU is that there are no import duties to pay although the bank hits you with a charge for making payment in Euros....but the postage and other charges are considerably less than when ordering from the USA. Both the Dutch and French websites were in their native languages but the vendors replied to enquiries in English and were very helpful.

John.
My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

John Candy

Scenic Settings

Track-laying is all but complete and attention is turning to the "scenic" aspects of the railway.
Platform construction is advancing in leaps and bounds but it will take a lot more than just railway buildings and structures to bring the scene to life.

Road vehicles have been the focus of attention (again) recently and Post Office vans in particular (a splash of red is guaranteed to liven up the gloomiest of scenes).

Cain Howley supplied a selection of post boxes and a postman  in 1936 uniform, while a Ford Model A van in Royal Mail livery (by ERTL from their "Liberty Classics" range) arrived yesterday from a source in France.
The post boxes and postman are heavy die-cast metal models.

The van requires some adjustment to the livery (which I am loathe to carry out as it is a "collectable" model and was not cheap) since the brass bumper and wire wheels are certainly not authentic. I believe  these (and possibly the bonnet and headlamps) should be black but am not certain...except that polished brass they were not!

Still "in transit" from Holland are two 1925 Model T "Paddy wagons" and a 1925 Model T 4-door car (all by   MotorMax).
The vans are plain black and will be resprayed into Royal Mail livery.

For some reason it appears impossible to obtain these models from UK suppliers who do stock the brands involved but not the pre-war vehicle types in 1:24/1:25 scales.

John.

John Candy

Saturday, my parcel arrived from Holland, containing a Model T Ford touring car plus two Model T "Paddy wagons".

The models are made by Motor Max and, like all the other die-cast vehicles I have so far bought, can be completely dismantled by removing a few screws (very handy if you wish to re-spray).

The photos show one of the Paddy wagons straight from the box, while the other shows the dismantled bodywork, ready to re-spray into "Post Office red".

I am still undecided as to whether, or not, to re-spray the second Paddy wagon as a Royal Mail van.

If my memory serves me correctly, "Paddy wagon" is old-time slang for a Police van (also known as a "Black Maria"), so I may finish it in the livery of a Constabulary appropriate to imaginary location to my layout.

The 1925 Model T touring car presents another dilemma : "Henry" declared you could have his cars in any colour so long as it was black!
My model is finished in metallic blue : Doubt metallic paints were available for cars in 1925, even if a colour other than black was available!

John.

John Candy

A (very) wet Bank Holiday weekend meant time spent at the workbench and almost no time in the garden.

Results included a re-sprayed 1925 "Model T" Ford van and a less "brassy" and more workman-like looking "Model A" Ford van.

The "T" still needs transfers to be printed and I think cab doors were fitted to all Royal Mail vans, which are missing from this "paddy wagon" model...these I shall add.

John Candy

The two Ford 1925 'Model T' Paddy wagons have now been finished as Royal Mail vans.

Apart from a respray and some home-made transfers, the only alteration has been the addition of cab doors.
The GPO had a large fleet of 'Model T'  and "Model A" (successor to the 'T') mail vans but none has survived in preservation and 'period' photos have not been found by 'Googling'.

Pre-war vehicles appropriate to the inter-wars period in Britain are hard to find but these (together with the 'A') will make a colourful addition for the station forecourt.

John.