Author Topic: Inside/outside framed locomotives  (Read 4264 times)

Offline MikeWilliams

Re: Inside/outside framed locomotives
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2014, 08:19:03 AM »
Jon,

Remember Barry Lane's article in a Newsletter some time ago - sorry, can't remember which one?  He turned the top of the dome, cut a disc for the base, and made the suage between them from car body filler.  The filler is softer to sand, can be repaired if you take off too much, and there is less risk of damaging the flange because that is harder.  Have never done it that way myself, but his results prove it works for him.

Mike

P.S. An index to the Newsletter would be useful here.  Can we at least start one from now onwards please Mr.Editor?

Offline Jon Nazareth

« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2014, 10:37:36 AM »
Mike

I do vaguely remember that article but don't think I have the newsletter now but, it's worth a try.

Re the frames for Dieppe.  I was going to make these from 2mm brass so that, for me at least, I could easily solder the footplate to the outer frame.  I was going to disguise the thickness by feathering back the inner edge.  Obviously, these are all just thoughts on how to build this engine that are floating about in my mind.

Regards
Jon

Offline Geoff Nicholls

« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2014, 10:50:44 AM »
Jon,
I'm building an eastern Counties 2-2-2 well tank with outside cylinders. The driving wheel has inside bearings, the other axles outside bearings. The latter will be cosmetic, as I'm building it with an inside frame. The front two axles will have a compensation beam, the training axle rocking on a central pivot.
I'm just finishing drawing the frames . I don't know if this will work, though theoretically it should.
Are you thinking of compensation or springs?
Geoff.

Offline Jon Nazareth

« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2014, 12:30:10 PM »
Geoff

Re springing and/or compensation of which I know nothing at all.  I haven't got that far as yet although my initial thoughts were three fixed axles but I can now see that there could be problems with this idea as the drive will be on just the one pair of wheels and if it's not just right, the main wheels could just turn in the air.  My thoughts above are all just musings at the moment but I will be buying frame and boiler material in July at the Guildford Model Engineering show.  I've never scratchbuilt before although I did build a 5" gauge 0-4-0ST steam engine (Gemma) some years ago.  But with that it was a case of simply following the instructions in Engineering in Miniature and eventually, I got an engine that worked!  So, you can see that this is all quite new to me.  Are you following a set of instructions or are you building from past experience?  I think that whatever I chose will be the easier for me to construct.

Regards
Jon

Offline John Candy

« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2014, 02:10:19 PM »
Jon,

If you don't want the problem of springing (and the lack of adhesion of a single driver) why not "cheat" and power the tender?
This will give you more driven wheels for more adhesive power (the tender axles could be gear or chain linked).

I am sure Ralph will provide some info on gear sources and design if you want to follow this route.

Regards,
John.

My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.