Author Topic: GRS points  (Read 1101 times)

Offline hornbeam

• G3 Society Member
GRS points
« on: April 25, 2014, 07:47:38 PM »
I'm After a left hand GRS point if anyone has one not needed. I would go for a CB point but where it's being used is between two GRS custom maid points.

Cheers

Simon

Offline hornbeam

• G3 Society Member
Re: GRS points
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2014, 01:08:01 PM »
Still on the look out, I know a society member is selling some and I took his details when I meet him at Reading, but have since lost them! If anyone knows who he is could they be kind enough to pass me his details?

Thanks,

Offline joewatt

• Group A Forum Member
Re: GRS points
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2014, 10:14:22 PM »
I needed a set of left hand points for the new branch line I require for my forthcoming Kingscale GWR 14xx. John's article on manufacturing a set of code 330 turnouts inspired me to have a go. I decided to design my own check-rail attachment using Tenmille chairs modified with a 'Stanley Kinife'. The check rails are each held in place with 2 pieces of 1.5mm rodding soldered in place through the main rail - they aren't going to fail. The common crossing is held together with a combination of Tenmille chairs with one lug cut off and 'milliput' epoxy putty. I used Cliff Barker sleepers, Tie Bar and point lever.
The blades have proven to be the only nightmare - getting them right. I still need to do more filing on one to stop derailments. Also the soldered joints with the Tie Bar failed with the bending. I overcame this by fitting a brass rivet through the soldered joints. I also didn't make hinges for the blades but attached them loose with Tenmille brass rail joiners, which are staying in place and have sufficient flexibility for the blade movement - sliding and rotational.
I am confident my version of the points design is sound. However, I'm not sure the Tenmille chairs will stay in place - I used the soldering iron melt technique. If I ever do this again, I will try a blob of epoxy resin (araldite) on the under side of the sleepers going between the 2 barbed feet that push through the 3mm hole. That should stop them squeezing together and coming out. However, I might just buy a ready made set of points from GRS.