Author Topic: battery RC ECR 2-2-2WT  (Read 1627 times)

Offline Geoff Nicholls

battery RC ECR 2-2-2WT
« on: May 25, 2014, 04:50:56 PM »
I said in previous posts that my J65 would be a test run for an Eastern Counties 2-2-2WT. Well, I 've now started work on the latter, as the photos show. It uses compensation beams at the front and the rear axle pivots, creating the standard 3 point flexible chassis. The motor and gearbox are from ABC gears.
the frames are etched brass 0.71mm, stepped just after the driving well to give more play at the rear.
 The photo shows it loaded with two 500gram weights. Without these the driving wheels just spin. With them it will push my three GER four wheelers, providing I accelerate slowly. 
Geoff.

Offline Jon Nazareth

Re: battery RC ECR 2-2-2WT
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2014, 10:40:09 PM »
This looks promising, Geoff.  I like the fine look of the wheels and the whole makes me think of my own 2-2-2 which is sitting on the back burner.  Can I ask a question, where does one start with compensation beams?  Is there a weighty tome somewhere that describes all?

Regards
Jon

Offline Geoff Nicholls

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2014, 09:20:37 AM »
I'm not an expert at this, this loco is my first attempt at a single wheeler. I bought Mike Sharman's booklet 'Flexichas' which includes all the theory, and I asked demonstrators at exhibitions, especially the gauge O guild.
I originally thought of powering the outer axles with small motors hidden in the well tanks, but everyone I asked urged me to try to do it properly first.
The consensus was to pivot the bar nearer the driving axle, with a ratio about 2:1. Mine is 35mm:57mm.  I was worried about bringing the pivot too near the centre of the loco. As it is, it's bit too close to where the battery mid point will be. The beam allows 1mm up or down. The rear axle rocks on a brass screw projecting down from the crosspiece (crude but effective). The pivot bar is 2mm brass rod, the beams are held in place by a length of 3mm brass tube slid over the rod.  I've done a bit of tweaking since the first post, checking everything slides freely. Without additional weight it will run, and push one wagon, but doesn't like my three-way point.  With the two 500gm weights it will negotiate the points and will push three coaches, each weighing about a kilo, providing I don't turn up the voltage too quickly. It should cope easily with stock with roller bearings.
So, it seems to work very well, and I'm rather proud of myself. Now I need to do some real testing at one of the GTGs.
I wouls not expect my loco to pull more than 4 or 5 coaches.  How many would you be wanting yours to pull?
PS, wheels, as always are by Mark Wood.

Geoff.

Offline Jon Nazareth

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2014, 07:01:26 PM »
Dear Geoff
I'm almost certain that I have copy of 'Flexichas' somewhere but I have a vague recollection that I just ended up a bit more confused.  I try and find it and have another read.
I was thinking of a train consisting of horsebox, carriage truck(with carriage if I can find a G3 one), 3rd or a second class carriage, a first class carriage and a brake van.  All of these are in the planning stage, including the loco and I've a feeling the planning stage could last a couple of years.  The wheels that I've bought come from the 2.5 gauge society but If I'd waited a while, I think that I would have asked Mark Wood to make me a set as they would have been much better looking wheels, hey ho.

Regards
Jon

Offline Geoff Nicholls

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2014, 08:42:38 PM »
the flexichas principle, as I understand it is that the loco rests on three points, in my loco's case a brass screw rests on the centre of the rear axle which can rock. The other two points are the ends of the compensation beam pivot. The beams ensure all four front wheels rest on the track at all times.
Geoff.

Offline Geoff Nicholls

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2014, 08:46:30 PM »
If you're modelling a tender loco, then its weight can be born by the loco as well. That does get a bit more interesting.
Geoff.

Offline Geoff Nicholls

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2014, 08:47:50 PM »
forgot to point out that the last photo showed the loco upside down
Geoff.