Author Topic: Coach bogies  (Read 1527 times)

Offline hornbeam

Coach bogies
« on: July 07, 2014, 12:59:59 pm »
Hi,

Would I be right in saying GRS GWR, LSWR, gresley and the LNWR sides from walsaw are the only bogies available? I pinched the GRS ones from my siphon kit for a B set coach I got from e bay and need to replace them. I'm on a bit of a budget so wondered what's out there, I may see if I can get the autocoach bogie kits but without instructions they may be beyond me, and I can't imagine Gresley bogies were ever fitted!

Thanks.

Offline John Candy

Re: Coach bogies
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2014, 01:53:10 pm »

I have not used (or have even seen these) but they are reasonably priced and you may be able to modify then to look like GWR 9ft type (the Society will sell you laser-cut steel frames onto which you can fit the cosmetic mouldings if you wish).

http://www.penfromodels.com/train-accessories/product/38-bogies-x2-g-scale-gauge-3

Regards,
John.
My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

Offline MikeWilliams

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2014, 05:07:59 pm »
As John says, don't forget the Society's bogies.  Laser cut steel sideframes with holes for Slaters bearings, and tierods also laser cut.  There is a central crossmember folded down at both sides.  The crossmember is almost the same length as the sideframes - that is to say it extends to where end stretchers would be, making them easy to attach if you want to.

You can solder these up solid, or use a nut and bolt through the centre of the siderfames (holes provided) and allow compensation.  The tierods for 8ft wheelbase are too long, intending to be twisted at 90 degree inboard of the keeps so that the central section is horizontal, as many were.  Tierods for the 9ft bogies are correct length and will be vertical, like LMS and some are others.

In brief, strong, functional, cheap bogies which you can detail by using WMI or Penfro dummy sideframes, or add your own details.

Mike

Offline hornbeam

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2014, 05:40:45 pm »
Thanks for the help. I've ordered a set of the society bogies and the cosmetic sides. He was a most helpful chap, and they are in plastic to jeep the weight down. The carriages he makes are aluminium bodied with seats on slaters wheels if any one is interested. £295 for a stainer coach ready to run seems pretty good.