• Welcome to The Forum for Gauge 3 Model Trains.

The Gauge 3 Society       2.1/2 inch Gauge Association       Cookies and privacy HOW TO JOIN: to request forum membership please click here

Gauge 3 Society members must be logged in to view the Society section
  G3 Clubroom

Welcome to the G3 Clubroom. This is the friendly online forum where members share ideas and inspiration, suggestions and advice, modelling tips, pictures and drawings, and general chat about our fine hobby of Gauge 3 railway modelling. A warm welcome, and enjoy your visit here today.

Etched number plates

Started by Jon Nazareth, Aug 12 2014 23:01

« previous - next »

Jon Nazareth

Does anyone know if Diane Carney is still in the business of producing etched number plates for wagons etc.?  I sent her an order a few weeks ago and I've heard nothing.  I thought that she may be on holiday but I've now looked at her website and it says that she is not producing anything at the moment but that this would be reviewed Spring 2014!  If she is no longer trading, does anyone know of an alternative supplier?

Regards
Jon

I use Guilplates, so do a few other members I know, as they were recommended to me by them.
Last order for etched plates was for "Kinder Scout" x 2, shed code oval x 2, Derby works plate x 2. Very fast service & very good value.

Heard that Diane was only preparing artwork & not doing etching until further notice but that could have been a rumour. More info would be appreciated.

Dave

John Candy

I have ordered from Diane Carney in the past but do not know current situation.

Plates for my Bagnall tank came from Guilplates .... see photo.

John.

My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

Jon Nazareth

Thanks for that.  There was no email address on the card.  What is the best way to contact him?

Regards
Jon

Andy B

Diane Carney took over as editor of the Model Engineer magazine last year - at which point she stopped producing plates herself, I believe.

For Guilplates - (found on RMWeb):
No website.
Email guilplat@globalnet.co.uk
When emailing always use a subject title which includes railways and specify the scale required.

Another possible alternative:
http://www.severnmillnameplates.co.uk/

Andy

jamiepage

I can also recommend Guilplates.

Jon Nazareth

If she took over as editor, then that is most probably why.

I've given Guilplates a ring and emailed the necessary info and am awaiting their quote.  I'll give him another call in the morning just to check that my email got through.

Thanks for your help everyone

Regards
Jon

MikeWilliams

Reviving this old topic, is there any change to recommended suppliers of numberplates?  SevenMill appear to only do certain railways and only do 7mm.  Whilst Guilplates seem to have been favourite in the thread above I have read many dire warnings about them elsewhere.  Anyone tried Fox?

Mike

Traininvain

Diane Carney still does them and also this chap: http://www.johnlythgoe.com/

John Candy

Just looked at John Lythgoe pages but he no longer offers "custom" plates, only a range of specific narrow gauge and G1 plates.

Used Diane Carney for plates many years ago (before she stopped) and they would be hard to beat. Only "downside" (if be such) is that in our scale she supplied them for buyer to cut from the backing plates.... but did supply a few spares in case you made a mess of any. Larger scales were supplied ready to fit.

John.
My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

AshleyW

i found guilplates too big in 10mm, i use narrow planet £4.50 for smokebox number and shedcode badge
https://narrowplanet.myshopify.com/products/npp-416?variant=11354164801

midnight miller

Hello All

Have used Guilplates and continue to do so , they have just done me the works plates for my Kerr Stuart  early diesel (Ex Ravenglas ) and have always been happy with what I got . Though they can be a bit sharp on a bad day !

MikeWilliams

Thank you very much chaps.  I have sent a note to narrow planet asking whether they will do Gauge 3 and will then compare then to Guildplates who, it seems are a bit like Marmite - love it or hate it.

Mike

AshleyW

they do, do g3, i have had g.w.r mogul cabside and smoke box plates and also smoke box plates for my b17, £4.50 seems very good, the link takes you straight to order page
https://narrowplanet.myshopify.com/products/npp-416?variant=11354164801

MikeWilliams

I sent an e-mail to Narrow Planet who were helpful and amended their website to include Gauge 3.  I then ordered and paid in full for about a dozen sets of numberplates.  Website says delivery in 4 to 6 weeks which is excellent and I received an automated reply that I would receive artwork for approval (obviously in less than that time) .. and then nothing.  So, after six weeks I sent a friendly e-mail asking for an update.  No reply.

There is no phone number on their website, only the e-mail address that I've already tried.

Anybody know this chap or have a phone number please?

Mike