Author Topic: HST Power Car  (Read 5744 times)

Doddy

HST Power Car
« on: August 18, 2014, 04:41:58 PM »
Hi folks,

Whilst my Peak project is ongoing with lengthy motor and gearbox selection and deciding what criteria I will use with traction motors and building techniques I would like something with a shorter building gestation to run as the Peak needs a lot of redesign work to start building.

"I used to be indecisive but now I can't make decisions!" :'(

I have known for some time of the existence of a set of G3 scale etchings for a HST Power Car and following some inquiries I now have some costings being prepared for me. Obviously the more etching sets ordered from the etchers will lower the cost, but in the meantime I thought I would ask what potential interest their would be.

The downside is that currently there are no Intercity-125 coaches to go with them, but I intend to change that situation.

The set of 'display model' etches is based around an updated HST cab which can be returned to its original light formation by removing some etch, and the roof radiator is a Marston cooling pack design which is used with the Paxman 'Valenta' engine. An etch is also included for the cabs drivers desk, the roofs exhaust deflector and parts for the bogie frames and a set of etches for the fuel tanks etc...

This is NOT a kit of parts and will require some metal work to create parts of the bogies, general detailing and the cab roof. The etches were designed for Brush Traction to display the finished loco in their boardroom.

Therefore anybody attempting to build one of these will need to have the ability to motorise the locomotive.

Just thought I'd share this...

Offline MikeWilliams

Re: HST Power Car
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2014, 05:35:05 PM »
Doddy, that is excellent and I hope people take it up.

Is this truly Gauge 3, or are they the ex-Dave Lowery half inch scale etches?

Mike

Doddy

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2014, 05:54:26 PM »
Dave Lowerys

Doddy

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2014, 05:56:41 PM »
I thought they were 2 1/2" gauge?

Is there a scale difference between 2 1/2" and G3?

If there is I can get Dave to size the etches differently.

Offline cabbage

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2014, 06:00:15 PM »
Er yes there is!

2.5inch gauge locomotives are of any scale that run of 2.5inch gauge track

A G3 loco is 1:22.6 scale and runs on 2.5inch gauge track

regards

ralph

Offline MikeWilliams

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2014, 06:07:14 PM »
Doddy, its a bit pedantic but the scale was increased to 13.5mm/1ft around the second War period so if Dave can re-size them that would be great.  However, if he has any castings to go with the etchings you may decide to stick with the slightly small scale so that they all fit.

Mike

P.S. Give my regards to Dave.  Not seen him for many years!

Doddy

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2014, 06:13:45 PM »
There are a few castings, the fuel gauge, dampers, air cylinder caps and a few minor bits that any self respecting engineer could knock up.

So, this model is a 2.5"G model that runs on G3 scale track.  :-[

Doddy

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2014, 06:26:05 PM »
Further to your comments Mike, David, the proposed new series of etches will be to G3 scale (13.5mm/foot).

Offline MikeWilliams

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2014, 09:28:49 PM »
Great.  Well done.  I actually wrote to Dave suggesting exactly this when his article appeared in a model magazine a few years ago.  Don't know whether my letter was ever forwarded, but he didn't reply.

So, well done you!

Mike

Offline keith Bristol

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2014, 08:23:11 PM »
Hi. I would be interested in some etchs at g3 scale.. Keith

Offline Traininvain

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2014, 09:04:42 PM »
Hi Doddy

Great stuff. Can I have some hi-res mages for the upcoming 'modern image' G3 newsletter please. Address is on the forum.

cheers

Ian

Doddy

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2014, 07:42:39 AM »
These lithographic plates turned out to be a premium price that is well out of my reach, that and the differential 29mm in length between 2.5"G (13mm/foot) and G3 (13.5mm/foot) was just too much effort for G3.

The plates can be easily produced in G3 scale but the castings could not. Developing fittings for my own 2.5"G version would not translate again for developing a completely separate set of castings for a G3 version.

Then there is the long term issue of licensing the artwork for the MKIII coaches for both the 2.5" G plates that are available or making new plates for G3. Developing two sets of castings for those also - no thanks.

Dave Lowery can be contacted at modernimagewagons for anybody who has a bigger wallet than me to pursue the matter.

Offline MikeWilliams

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2014, 08:16:43 AM »
Very sorry to hear that Doddy, after the work you have put in thus far.

Have you thought of developing your own version, from scratch?  You now know how Dave Lowery's was designed and could use that or not as you wish, and just do it yourself - correctly.

There are plenty of people on here to give advice and maybe even some practical help.

Mike

Doddy

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2014, 09:49:53 AM »
I did not purchase Davids lithographic 2.5"G etches due to the cost.

In any case there is no need to be sorry as other locomotives types have a higher priority for me than the HST. Dave's model would have accelerated things as he has already done the design work.

No - I have other ideas already on my workbench, some of which won't be popular with G3 purists - others ideas will.

I am obtaining motors and gearboxs at the moment and will be looking to integrate a pulsed smoke system (designed for a variety of diesel engine types - 4, 6, 8, V12 and V16), together with a synchronised CD quality sound system and traction motion control.

The focus is to get this system working in a G3 scale Class 45 Peak. I think that lot is more than enough for me at the moment, based upon 'some' parts of the Chris Barron Peak design. David, Tim, Ralph and myself are exchanging many ideas between us, although I am the only only building an electric (battery) powered Peak with these features.

Although, I will say that the smoke system needs some etches done and I know nothing about CAD, which development programs and file formats to use etc...

Offline IanT

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2014, 10:46:28 AM »
"These lithographic plates turned out to be a premium price that is well out of my reach, that and the differential 29mm in length between 2.5"G (13mm/foot) and G3 (13.5mm/foot) was just too much effort for G3."

I'm sorry to be pedantic Doddy - but just to be clear, anyone who models a 2.5" standard gauge prototype at a scale of 13mm/ft has simply got the scale completely wrong. It's nothing to do with any difference between G3 and 2.5" - it's simply that someone didn't care enough about 'scale' to get it right! A standard gauge model built to run on 2.5" track should be built to a scale of 1:22.6 - not 1:23.4!

Ralph says below that "2.5inch gauge locomotives are of any scale that run on 2.5inch gauge track" and he is absolutely correct in the sense that you can build a model of any engine that ran on non-standard track gauges (e.g. 2ft, Metre, 3ft, 5' 3" etc.) to run on 2.5" track. But a 2ft N/G engine built to run on 2.5" track would clearly not be G3 - as G3 is by definition standard gauge (e.g. 4' 8.5").

So sorry about this 'Rant' but I see this (mis)information about 2.5" gauge and 'G3' so often that I must admit it bugs me - and there is also the danger that others see it and start to think that there is some kind of difference between 2.5" and G3. If you are modelling a standard gauge engine on 2.5" track, then there is not (or at least there shouldn't be!).

Regards

IanT 
Nothing's ever Easy - At least the first time around.