• Welcome to The Forum for Gauge 3 Model Trains.

The Gauge 3 Society       2.1/2 inch Gauge Association       Cookies and privacy HOW TO JOIN: to request forum membership please click here

Gauge 3 Society members must be logged in to view the Society section
  G3 Clubroom

Welcome to the G3 Clubroom. This is the friendly online forum where members share ideas and inspiration, suggestions and advice, modelling tips, pictures and drawings, and general chat about our fine hobby of Gauge 3 railway modelling. A warm welcome, and enjoy your visit here today.

Southern Railway Bogies

Started by MikeWilliams, Jun 30 2014 21:06

« previous - next »

MikeWilliams

Please can anyone direct me to a drawing and photo of a Maunsell carriage bogie of c1928-30ish, 8ft wheelbase?  I've been given a 4mm scale drawing from a book, but at the end of this project the bogies might become available in Gauge 3, so I'd rather have a better drawing.

Thanks,

Mike

AllWight

Do you want the LSWR or bullied 8' steam bogies.

MikeWilliams

Maunsell, steam hauled.  Whether they are the same as LSWR I don't know, but they look heavier and more modern to me.  They are for some c1930 stock.

Mike

AllWight

The bogies in the GRS kits are the Maunsell LSWR / SR bogie kits from fox bogies. It may be worth talking to GRS directly.

Mark

John Candy

"Somewhere" among my collection of mags. (in particular Backtrack and Modellers Backtrack) are articles on Southern carriages (including Maunsell and Bulleid dining/buffet/tavern cars) and I am pretty sure there are bogie drawings.

Incidentally, Richard Maunsell came to the Southern from SE&CR, so am not sure that his design of bogies would necessarily have been of L&SWR origin.

Regards,
John.
My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

MikeWilliams

OK, seems I need to give a bit more detail.  These are not Fox patent bogies, but Maunsell Southern designs including D2001 and D2005 of 1928-30.  I already have a 4mm scale "drawing" but want a better, larger drawing of the sideframe and ends, plus photos.  Its a bit like this
http://www.cs.vintagecarriagestrust.org/se/CarriageInfo.asp?Ref=493

Mike

Looks like an open top double decker to me  ;D

Dave

AllWight

I am looking through my books if I find anything helpful I will copy and email to you direct.

Mark

hornbeam

Are you thinking of producing some Mike?

MikeWilliams

Producing some carriages?  Alas no!  But I need to make some bogie parts for somebody.  Sorry, confidential other than that.

Mike

John Candy

Mike,

Following telecon this a.m., I have scanned and sent you dimensioned bogie drawing plus photos of bogies in works "photographic grey" which show all the detail.

Regards,
John.
My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

hornbeam

All sounds very interesting Mike. Sounds like the GRS ones won't be of any use but I've heard they are pretty good.

MikeWilliams

Thanks all.  I have all I need.

Yes, I think the GRS (Slaters) SECR bogies are good too.  These will be much simplified but I hope to allow an optional detailing kit at a later date, if there is any interest.

Mike

hornbeam

Good stuff. Will be building a bogie van and am planning on using GRS bogies but they are rather expensive, but not knocking them

AllWight

If you are going to do these bogies I might be interested in a pair. I have always fancied building a queen Mary brakevan in gauge 3