• Welcome to The Forum for Gauge 3 Model Trains.

The Gauge 3 Society       2.1/2 inch Gauge Association       Cookies and privacy HOW TO JOIN: to request forum membership please click here

Gauge 3 Society members must be logged in to view the Society section
  G3 Clubroom

Welcome to the G3 Clubroom. This is the friendly online forum where members share ideas and inspiration, suggestions and advice, modelling tips, pictures and drawings, and general chat about our fine hobby of Gauge 3 railway modelling. A warm welcome, and enjoy your visit here today.

Dummy reverser

Started by Jon Nazareth, Oct 13 2014 18:24

« previous - next »

Jon Nazareth

Does anyone know where I may be able to buy a dummy reversing lever for my Manning Wardle?  I've tried Brandbright but they no longer supply this particular item.  I've looked at the Roundhouse website and the working one that they use on their engines is too crude.

Fingers crossed that someone will know.

Jon

John Candy

When you say a "dummy reverser", do you mean the quadrant in the cab which holds the lever or the "reach rod" (which connects the lever to the valve gear)?

Regards,
John.
My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

Jon Nazareth

Dear John
I mean the quadrant together with the lever.  The Manning Wardle drawing that I have shows two notched arcs bolted to the firebox and the lever with a plate bolted to the cab floor that it hinges on.  But beggars etc., etc., and I will most probably have to go for whatever's out there.  Failing that, have a go at making one myself but don't want to at this stage.

Regards
Jon

John Candy

Jon,

Send me an extract from the drawing by email and I will see what I can do.
Am away this week but may be able to help when I get home.

Regards,
John.
My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

midnight miller

Hello All

Try haveing a talk to Slaters . I belive they have done some castings for the Kirtley in G3 (which might be a bit big ) or think about useing a 1/32 one . It might work going from a large-ish loco down to a small almost narrow gauge one by droping a scale .

John

Jon Nazareth

Dear All

I have an O gauge one from Laurie Griffin for a LSWR Beattie but it is too small.  I will try Slaters today to see if they can help.  Because the lever does not have a backplate, (see earlier post) I don't think I'll have much luck.  Thanks for the offer to make one, John, but I would like it in either brass or nickel and I think that you would produce a white metal casting which wouldn't suit.

Thanks to everyone for their help

Regards
Jon

MikeWilliams

Once you have one that's correct, in whitemetal, plastic or anything else, it can be cast in brass, or nickel silver.  And, if you have gone to all this trouble and not found one yet, then others may feel the same - making it worth the cost of casting.

Mike

Jon Nazareth

I know have the G1 reversing lever from Slaters and it's too short so, I'll be making one of these hence my earlier post.

Regards
Jon

MikeWilliams

Any chance of adding a piece to the base of it Jon? - cut and shut in reverse?

Mike

Jon Nazareth

Dear Mike

It will need a base anyway but, according to my drawing, it's 1/2" short.  Stretching it, though, may be a very easy way out as the quadrant is quite well defined and it would be a shame not to use it.

Regards
Jon