• Welcome to The Forum for Gauge 3 Model Trains.

The Gauge 3 Society       2.1/2 inch Gauge Association       Cookies and privacy HOW TO JOIN: to request forum membership please click here

Gauge 3 Society members must be logged in to view the Society section
  G3 Clubroom

Welcome to the G3 Clubroom. This is the friendly online forum where members share ideas and inspiration, suggestions and advice, modelling tips, pictures and drawings, and general chat about our fine hobby of Gauge 3 railway modelling. A warm welcome, and enjoy your visit here today.

Radio control for review

Started by Traininvain, Dec 01 2014 09:48

« previous - next »

Traininvain

Does anyone have any experience of the following R/C systems which they could do a write up on for the G3 Newsletter:

1. Systems made by RCS: http://www.rcs-rc.com/ and the similar Tx-20 and Tx-21 which are marketed by Peter Spoerer: http://www.peterspoerermodelengineers.com/90275/info.php?p=2

2. The Revolution 57000 system

Also does anyone have any experience of using their smart phone to control their trains?

tx

Ian

Moonraker

Ian,

I have experience of all of these and use most of them on my railway layouts. I use the RCS system on my Gauge 3 railway, the Revolution on my G Scale railway and a Hornby smart phone system (plus others) on my indoor OO layout. I am familiar with the Peter Spoerer system and have one on order at the moment.

I would be happy to do an article. How long should it be and by when is it needed?

Regards
Peter Lucas
Peter Lucas

Moonraker

Ian,

I emailed the article to you a week ago but have not heard anything from you. Did you get it?

Regards
Peter Lucas
Peter Lucas

Peaky 556

Did the article appear; I don't recall it?
I'm in the market for a reasonably competent system that is switchable between different models but without breaking the bank. Any suggestions?
Thanks Tim

cabbage

Tim,

The article appears in issue 100 of the Newsletter (spring 2014). I am looking at the Deltang kits.

www.deltang.co.uk

regards

ralph

Andy B

I thoroughly recommend Deltang kits if you enjoy wielding a soldering iron.
Andy

Richard T

I'll go with Andy on that, I've built quite a few of their systems - very good.
Richard

Doddy

Quote from: Peaky 556 on Jan 16 2017 08:54
I'm in the market for a reasonably competent system that is switchable between different models but without breaking the bank.

I am using the Revolution controller and receivers but gets ruled out due to your rules on costs.
"You don't know what you don't know"

Peaky 556

Thanks guys; there looks at first sight to be a bewildering array of products at Deltang, but I'll look in more detail.
One day I might have some tunnels to contend with, so a powerful system ought to be on the cards.  Any experience of range from you guys?
Regards, Tim

Doddy

It's not just a matter of range, the Revolution allows the locomotive to continue at it's set speed when the radio link gets dropped, thus allowing the loco to come back into range and under the users control. It may well pay you to see what the Deltang Solution does in this respect.

The Revolution uses 2.4Gig radio and is good for over 400' outdoors.
"You don't know what you don't know"

Andy B

Quote from: Peaky 556 on Jan 17 2017 07:40
there looks at first sight to be a bewildering array of products at Deltang, but I'll look in more detail.
One day I might have some tunnels to contend with, so a powerful system ought to be on the cards.  Any experience of range from you guys?
Tim,
If you are looking for an RX /controller for brushed motors with a current capability of 3A +, then basically there are 2 Deltang products of interest - The Rx65 & the Rx102.
However there are several variants of both.
The user can set the 'no-signal' parameter on both of the Deltang Rx's mentioned above to either stop on loss of signal, or to continue at the last set speed.
The longest range I've tried mine on is on Ralph's line - but you're welcome to borrow Thomas with the 'low power' Tx 20 transmitter and do some tests around your house or in a simulated tunnel.
My other Tx is based on the Tx22, but uses a higher powered 'Orange' Tx module controlled through the Deltang CB2 - also welcome to borrow and test.

Andy

AllWight

I ham sticking with my spektrums and futabas. I have a mix of 27Mhz, 40 Mhz and 2.4Ghz all locos work really well so no need to change them and i am not into the sound effects as its not right for me and does not sound right on the model. I drive bigger engines in my spare time whatever spare time is!.

I am still not convinced the sound effects are up to scratch to replicate the behaviors of an engine at idle rolling, under labour on uphill, level or downhill grades.

There are some good sound modules out there such as the Massoth systems that my dad has on his LGB and american 0n30 models. One of his steam locos for me is spot on and it is 2-4-4T of a Forney that is spot on in every sense. I have yet to see another that good in any scale.

Mark

Traininvain

If I were you I'd forget the Deltang and related systems and the Revolution too and check out the GigaRad stuff from Timpdon Electronics

http://www.timpdon.co.uk/timpdon/telec/products/products_grc.php

From what I understand, the guy who runs it, Geoff Garside, used to work for GEC traction and really knows his electronics.

I've tested this system with Brian Jones' old and new speed controllers and the new one from Timpdon using cored and coreless motors and the results are excellent.

Ian

Andy B

Quote from: Traininvain on Jan 18 2017 18:50
If I were you I'd forget the Deltang and related systems and the Revolution too and check out the GigaRad stuff from Timpdon Electronics
Ian,
I hope that in general we can be more open minded!
Have you ever spoken to David at Deltang? Do you know anything of his background? Have you done a quantitative comparison of these products? Similar the proprietor / designer at Revolution.
I think you will find that several of us have had excellent results using Deltang products, and also Revolution.
I had never heard of Timpdon before today, and it looks as though they do have a good range of products.
Having not tried them, I cannot comment on their performance! However I will make the observation that in terms of features, Deltang offer a very compact combined Rx and ESC, but I don't see a similar item in the Timpdon line-up. To reiterate, that is no reason why I would not encourage potential buyers to consider / compare the Timpdon products to see what might best suit their needs.

Andy

cabbage

Well..

Having looked at the Timpdon site I don't think they have what I need. I have the choice of the Deltang 12 loco controller and the 3 loco controller. Although I really like the "Bangs per Buck" of the 12 loco controller I think it is the 3 loco controller that I will buy...

The reason is that I cannot see me using more than 3 locos at once on my layout. The Timpdon system only seems to offer a single loco controller(?)

Maybe Tim and I could coax Andy B for some module lessons???

Please(!)