• Welcome to The Forum for Gauge 3 Model Trains.

The Gauge 3 Society       2.1/2 inch Gauge Association       Cookies and privacy HOW TO JOIN: to request forum membership please click here

Gauge 3 Society members must be logged in to view the Society section
  G3 Clubroom

Welcome to the G3 Clubroom. This is the friendly online forum where members share ideas and inspiration, suggestions and advice, modelling tips, pictures and drawings, and general chat about our fine hobby of Gauge 3 railway modelling. A warm welcome, and enjoy your visit here today.

60mm dia tube needed for a J65 boiler

Started by Geoff Nicholls, Feb 28 2015 17:59

« previous - next »

Geoff Nicholls

it would save me a lot of work if I could get hold of 60mm OD tubing for the boiler of my J65 loco. Actually anything between 55 and 59mm dia would be excellent, as I can then 'clad' it with brass and solder bits onto it. I need a piece at least 175mm long, of which 120mm will be cut away to clear the batteries.
Does anyone know a source?
I can roll it myself from brass, but something readymade would be easier. 
Geoff.

John Candy

Geoff,

I have obtained 60mm steel tube for Mike's LNWR Coal Tanks from

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/60mm-x-1-5mm-Wall-ERW-Mild-Steel-Tube-1500mm-60-1-Meter-Long-/111523798044?ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:GB:3160

The tube is clean smooth and  bright and they cut it to the exact lengths I required.

I looked for ages for brass or other pipe of that size but drew a blank.

John.
My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

jamiepage

If 54mm od is ok, it is a standard size for copper tubing.  Searching '54mm copper tube' on ebay brings up a number of suppliers. eg £15.50 for 250mm.
Jamie

Traininvain

Hi Geoff

I have a 390mm length of 60mm brass tubing if that's any help.

If you're interested call or email me and I'll work out the price.

cheers

Ian

Geoff Nicholls

Excellent, thanks,
I'll bear the others in mind for the future, but the 60mm brass sounds the best option, I'll contact you via PM, Ian.
Geoff.

Geoff Nicholls

I while back I asked if anyone had some spare 60mm dia brass tube.  Ian (Traininvain) was kind enough to supply one, and I've put it to good use. In case the attachment is too large to be uploaded, it can be seen here:
https://geoffreynicholls.files.wordpress.com/2015/05/e22-boiler1-006.jpg
Geoff.

Andy B

Looks like you have enough for another loco boiler and a small saddle tank top there, Geoff!  :D

Andy

Jon Nazareth

Hello Geoff

That looks an interesting engine.  What is she?

Regards
Jon

Geoff Nicholls

It's a Great Eastern E22 class (LNER BR J65) a smaller version of the GER buckjumpers desgined for light branch line duties.
Geoff.

Geoff Nicholls

a long time ago I posted some pictures of the underframe of a loco I had started building: a Great eastern E22 class 0-6-0T.  well, the loco is now nearly ready for painting. the photo shows it with the castings placed where they should fit, most of them will be left off to assist whoever I get to paint it with their work.
Geoff.

IanT

Coming along nicely Geoff!

Regards,

IanT
Nothing's ever Easy - At least the first time around.

MikeWilliams

Really very nice Geoff.  A lovely little engine full of character, Etched brass, Mark Wood wheels, brass fittings and properly researched.  Gauge 3 models don't get much better.

Mike