Author Topic: 'Chicken Feed' fuel valve - for meths  (Read 1695 times)

Offline Andy B

'Chicken Feed' fuel valve - for meths
« on: Apr 20 2015 12:51 »
Does anyone have a design / drawing for a 'chicken feed' fuel valve - preferably that would fit through a plain hole in the bottom of a tank and a threaded bush at the top?

I have found a design here - http://trains.de.jardin.free.fr/minidampf/brazil_uk/fueltank.html - with a stem that is soldered to the top and bottom of the tank.

My tank drawings show a 3/16" dia plain hole in the bottom of the tank, and a bush threaded 3/8" x 32 in the top - but with no valve details. As it comes from a well-known G1 designer, maybe there is a 'standard' design that is widely used in G1 locos? e.g. 'Project', 'Dee', etc?

Any help / pointers appreciated.

Andy

Offline IanT

Re: 'Chicken Feed' fuel valve - for meths
« Reply #1 on: Apr 20 2015 14:57 »
I think they are all pretty much the same Andy - although the dimensions do vary somewhat.

The 'Project' spirit tank doesn't look so different from the 'Brazil' one you linked to. I have the Project drawings and will scan the appropriate pages for you if it's helpful. Please PM me and I'll dig them out (busy decorating at the moment!)

:(

Regards,

IanT 
Nothing's ever Easy - At least the first time around.

Offline Andy B

« Reply #2 on: Apr 21 2015 08:27 »
Thanks Ian - email sent.

Thanks also to Jamie who replied by email.

I'll endeavour to draw up the basic ideas then post them on here as a reference for others.

Andy

Offline Jon_C

« Reply #3 on: Mar 12 2020 12:34 »
Andy, did you ever publish any designs on this please? The link originally posted is now out of date and looks like the original hosting page is now for sale.

I'm afraid im of the meths and solid fuel camp, and although I know the principle behind the chicken feed burners, I lack a full knowledge of them, and their internal workings.

Also appolagies for digging up an old thread, but I am enjoying reading some of the threads posted.  :)

Offline cabbage

« Reply #4 on: Mar 12 2020 13:43 »
Try the G3 Wiki. Enter "Meths" into the Search box. Scroll down and you will find a section marked Meths and a Hypertext marked "Spirit Burners".

or:

http://gauge3.info/wiki/wiki_pdf/rbmeths.pdf

regards

ralph

Offline Jon_C

« Reply #5 on: Mar 12 2020 16:32 »
Thanks Ralph,

I'll have a look at it fully tonight.

Jon

Offline MikeWilliams

« Reply #6 on: Mar 12 2020 21:18 »
The new Barratt J65 will be spirit fired, so they may have a complete burner available, if you want a known entity.

Mike

Offline Jon_C

« Reply #7 on: Mar 14 2020 17:26 »
I hope this is ok to post this, if not I can supply a link to the article on the John Tom website. It's a chicken fuel tank and feeder system as drawn up by LBSC  in ME for Rose locomotive. Posted here for reference.