Author Topic: Slater's Motor/Gearbox  (Read 1691 times)

Offline John Candy

Slater's Motor/Gearbox
« on: April 25, 2015, 09:15:52 PM »
Has anyone here a loco fitted with the Slater's G3 motor/gearbox?

I understand that the gearing arrangement allows the loco to be pushed along the track by hand (i.e. with the wheels rotating .... not "sliding" as with a worm drive).

What I need to know is, whether a loco fitted with this type of (bevel?) gearing will "stay put" when standing on a gradient (i.e. will the weight of the loco cause it to descend the gradient under gravity alone)?

I am considering using this motor/gearbox but don't want to have to fit the loco with working brakes, to stop it running away on my banks!

John.

My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

Offline Andy B

Re: Slater's Motor/Gearbox
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2015, 07:00:43 AM »
Slater's G3 motor/gearbox..... this type of (bevel?) gearing will....
John - to be technically correct, they are crossed helical gears not bevels.
Sorry, haven't used one so can't answer your 'stay put' question precisely - but some more information may be pertinent: 1) Do you want it to hold with a heavy train behind too, 2)  what sort of gradient are you suggesting, 3) assuming the loco will be r/c & battery operated, do you want the same capability when switched on and off?

A brake on the motor can easily be effected simply by shorting its terminals - so this is an easy option when the loco is switched off by using a double pole on/off switch. When switched on, it would be feasible to create an electronic 'parking brake' using one of the r/c auxiliary channels (can't remember what r/c system you are using now).

Andy

Andy

Offline Geoff Nicholls

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2015, 07:56:48 PM »
John,
my 2-2-2WT is powered by an ABC CANON motor with a helical  gearbox. if I press down with both hands, I can push it along, but it's not easy. I think you'd need a heavy load, (and a really heavy loco to avoid it just sliding) to cause it to roll.
I definitely think you should try one out, then you could review it for this forum.
Geoff.

Offline John Candy

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2015, 07:58:01 PM »
Andy,

I am considering using the Slater's motor in the LNW "Coal Tank" and would expect it to be able to hold, stationary, a reasonable length of train on a 1 in 40 (and not to become a "runaway" on the controlled descent).

In terms of (train) weight, I would think a GWR "B set" would be a good test (or a couple of Kingscale Mk.1s).

Regards,
John
My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

Offline John Candy

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2015, 07:59:42 PM »
Geoff,

Thanks for that info.
You posted your reply while mine was processing!

John.

Offline Jon Nazareth

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2015, 06:10:02 PM »
I fitted one to my Manning Wardle and when setting up the connecting rods, I managed to 'stick' one of the bearings but the motor carried on and bent the end of the con rod at right angles!!!  I managed to straighten it out and it still worked once I'd sorted the bearing problem.  A powerful motor/gearbox without a doubt.

Regards
Jon