Author Topic: Minx MicroDrives in the garden?  (Read 932 times)

Offline John Candy

• G3 Forum Administrator
Minx MicroDrives in the garden?
« on: May 16, 2015, 09:48:13 AM »
Minx MicroDrives in the garden?

http://minxmicrodrives.com/point-motors/

Anyone on here using these for point operation?

I made an enquiry and am told that they have three G3 customers and that (with certain precautions to protect against wetting) there are customers who use them in the garden.

For me, they have great appeal in that they are self-calibrating and require no mechanical adjustment mechanism to compensate for expansion/contraction, etc.and are "self-locking" (LGB motors require a locking and adjustment mechanism). Additionally, they provide a warning signal on the control panel if the point has not switched correctly (e.g. an obstruction on the track) which is an advantage if the turnout is hidden from view.
I also have a large stock of pneumatic motors but they, too, will require an adjustable mechanical linkage and my requirement for additional equipment could be better served by the Minx MicroDrives, if sufficiently durable in the garden.

John.
My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

Offline John Candy

• G3 Forum Administrator
Re: Minx MicroDrives in the garden?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2015, 08:13:41 PM »
After much deliberation as to suitability for garden use, I have just ordered a pack of 2 actuators plus control box from MinxMicrodrives.

They will be in a dryish location, with the control box encased under a wide expanse of plastic board and the actuators protected inside a platform (to operate the loco release crossover for platform 1 at the principal terminus).

Report on suitability/durability in due course!

John.
My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

Offline wolfstone

• G3S : Monkton Priors Team
  • Group A Forum Member
Re: Minx MicroDrives in the garden?
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2015, 10:18:23 PM »
I have also been seeking a system of point operation for outside use and had read up on this system looks good but keeping it dry in all Scottish weathers is a big problem. wonder if the control can be placed at a much greater distance from the points? waiting to read your findings!!!
Tim