• Welcome to The Forum for Gauge 3 Model Trains.

The Gauge 3 Society       2.1/2 inch Gauge Association       Cookies and privacy HOW TO JOIN: to request forum membership please click here

Gauge 3 Society members must be logged in to view the Society section
  G3 Clubroom

Welcome to the G3 Clubroom. This is the friendly online forum where members share ideas and inspiration, suggestions and advice, modelling tips, pictures and drawings, and general chat about our fine hobby of Gauge 3 railway modelling. A warm welcome, and enjoy your visit here today.

Does yours glow RED?

Started by John Candy, May 29 2015 21:46

« previous - next »

John Candy

Ralph,
I have just checked and between L and N the pd is 244.7AC  and between GND to either L or N is 0V.... I don't have 3-phase here so no danger of 400V+!!!

Just back from PO to send package to ANTEX.

Regards,
John.
My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

cabbage

Well better safe than crispy!!!

Regards

Ralph

John Candy

QuoteWell better safe than crispy!!!

Indeed!
I have experienced a 415V shock which threw me half way across the room..... that was about 30 years ago when we had the hotel in the Lake District........ I didn't suffer any ill effects but was much younger (and healthier) then!

Regards,
John.
My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

IanT

As a young computer service engineer - I repaired a large power supply and got the computer back online (a high priority) but had to screw some perforated screening back on afterwards. My screwdriver slipped and went into the PSU - and there was a very large blue flash and I was thrown back against a wall. On inspection, the screwdriver had welded itself to the screen but the computer hadn't noticed and was still running. I went back a few days later for a scheduled maintenance and hacksawed it off. I never mentioned this to anyone at the time but have sometimes wondered if anyone else noticed the handle sticking out the back of the cabinet and wondered what it was....   :-)

Regards,

IanT
Nothing's ever Easy - At least the first time around.

Peaky 556

Quote from: John Candy on Feb 11 2019 11:41
Ralph,
I have just checked and between L and N the pd is 244.7AC  and between GND to either L or N is 0V....
Regards,
John.
John if taking you literally here and there really is 0V between L and GND then you would appear to have an earth fault, ie the earth is not connected just takes up the potential of the wire you are measuring it against. 
I wouldn't use that socket, and furthermore buy yourself one of those natty little tester plugs that light up with three neons if there are no faults or transposed wires.
If you don't know what I'm talking about I'll send a pic of mine tomorrow.
Rgds, Tim

John Candy

Tim,

Actually, the reading was around 28V L to GND and 6V N to GND but in context of what we were discussing (400+) I treated as being negligible.
Yes, I have one of those tester plugs (bought it about 30 years ago) and did test all the sockets when we bought the house in 2002.  The distribution unit is of the RCCB type and trips whenever a bulb blows or the kettle element goes out with a flash and a bang!

Regards,
John.

John Candy

Below is the test report from Antex, certifying the iron as safe.

My only comment is my 175W Weller iron doesn't glow like that!

Hello John

We now have the engineers report below(& video attached.)

Everything appears to be normal & we would propose returning this one to you.

However if you would be more comfortable with a lower wattage iron (producing a little less heat) we could replace it with an 80 watt.

Please let me know how you would like us to proceed with this.

Best regards

John Tomkies

Sales Manager

Antex (Electronics) Ltd

Tel. 01752 695756

Fax. 01752 695666

RET.REF.8875 - HP100

Please see video attached. I have checked the iron and there are no safety issues. The iron is performing normally & it has been left running for over an hour.

100watts is very hot and we would expect a dull glow in normal light. In lower light as demonstrated in the video, the glow appears much brighter.

Parameters measured below:

Voltage: 230VAC

Resistance of element: 574 ohms

Current : 0.4 amps

Wattage: measured 92 watts

Wattage : indicated on display 98 watts

Temperaure at bit: 490 deg C

Everything looks well within specification

cabbage

To Messrs Antex I wou say "You use it first!!!" I will stick to the aged blue box Weller...

Regards

Ralph