• Welcome to The Forum for Gauge 3 Model Trains.

The Gauge 3 Society       2.1/2 inch Gauge Association       Cookies and privacy HOW TO JOIN: to request forum membership please click here

Gauge 3 Society members must be logged in to view the Society section
  G3 Clubroom

Welcome to the G3 Clubroom. This is the friendly online forum where members share ideas and inspiration, suggestions and advice, modelling tips, pictures and drawings, and general chat about our fine hobby of Gauge 3 railway modelling. A warm welcome, and enjoy your visit here today.

WANTED - coal fired 2 1/2 inch gauge GNR or LBSCR Atlantic

Started by Ben_C, Aug 17 2015 17:19

« previous - next »

Ben_C

WANTED - A 2 1/2 inch gauge GNR or LBSCR Atlantic (4-4-2), coal fired, in good, fully working condition and with a current boiler certificate. I do not know if all 2 1/2 inch examples of this type of loco are from the LBSC Ayesha design, but whether an Ayesha or not, what is more important is that it is in full working order.  I can offer in part exchange a Gauge 3 coal fired 0-4-0ST (based on a Manning Wardle H class and converted from a 16mm scale meths fired loco by Roger Marsh), a Gauge 1 NER D17 4-4-0, meths fired, built by Tom Barratt, and a new-build (as opposed to one of the 1980s models) 16mm scale Archangel Marmaduke 0-4-0T, 0 gauge, meths fired pot boiler (about 2 years old). Models of other Atlantic prototypes considered if no-one has a GNR or LBSCR example to offer.  Thank you, Ben Cripps (G3 Society member number 56).

IanT

There are 2.5" Atlantics (not based on Ayesha) about Ben but not many that I can think of.

I have a large-boiler'd GNR Atlantic (that was reputedly built by Peter Dupen) but it's a one-off I think. The other design that comes to mind are the 'generic' Bond Atlantics, which could be built in several guises. I have a part-built one of those but it's on the 'heavy' side of scale.

Within the Society, Dick A has built Ayesha (the mark 2 version) but I can't think of any others off-hand. The N2.5GA membership should have one or two around though.

Regards,

IanT

Nothing's ever Easy - At least the first time around.

Ben_C

Thank you IanT, very interesting information.  I don't know who Dick A, whom you refer to, is.  I used to belong to the N2.5GA in the 1990s I think, for a while, but soon realized that it is a model engineer's society and I felt out of place at the few meetings (or "rallies" as they rather quaintly call them!) that I went to, as not being an engineer I could not converse about very much with the other members I met, most of whom were much older than me and somewhat taciturn to say the least (I don't mean to be impolite, or disrespectful, that was just how I found them).  Gauge 3 was like a breath of fresh air when the G3 Society started, and I very quickly found that it was (and remains) the most friendly society.  I digress: I may see if I can get access to the N2.5GA's newsletters, or place an advert therein, without being a member.  Would love to see a couple of photos of your Atlantic, if you were able to post some!

Thanks, Ben

IanT

Hallo Ben,

Dick is a prolific engine builder (and designer) in 2.5" gauge and would have been found at his Farnham G3 GTG last weekend. He's had several of his designs (the SECR Wainright 'D' and the LNWR Crampton 'Liverpool') published as construction series in Model Engineer in recent years.

I don't think Gerald (the Associations Editor) would mind publishing a letter from you in Steam Chest but the simple way to find out would be to ask him. I can dig out his contact details and PM you if you would like to do this. I think you should also ask our Editor to do the same thing in the G3 NL, as there is a lot of stock out there that rarely (if ever) get's to be seen in public for various reasons. Finally, I always advise people to come to the Society's AGM early, as there are very often one or two nice engines for sale at very reasonable prices. The good ones do not tend to linger on the "Bring & Buy" stand for very long.

Strangely, our Editor has just asked me for photos of my GNR Atlantic and I've promised to dig some (rather old ones) out, as I'm afraid work is still in progress on it (as she needed some attention to her 'inners') - which is occurring at my usual rate (e.g. slowly)

Regards,

IanT

John Baguley

Ben,

I think the next issue of Steamchest is due out next month so you've still got time to place an advert if you wish. Gerald can be contacted at n25ga@waitrose.com

Sorry you didn't get a good reception at the rallies you attended. Hopefully, things have changed a bit since then  :)

John
Member of North West Leicestershire SME
Secretary National 2½" Gauge Association

Ben_C

IanT: thank you for all that further information.  I was actually at the G3 AGM this year, but at that time had not yet made the decision to mount an active search for an Atlantic, so was not viewing any of the exhibits, and items for sale, in an "acquisatory" frame of mind!  I have already had my advert published on the G3 Society website, but have not yet requested that it be put in the NL.  I will do so, as obviously there may be some members who do not use computers.

John: thank you for the email address of "Gerald" of the N2.5GA.  What is Gerald's surname, please?

As to the rallies I went to (and I think it was only 2 or 3), it was not so much that I got a bad reception; no-one was actively unfriendly or anything like that, it was just that I felt that I did not have a lot in common with the members who were there, and the combination of natural shyness and slightly withdrawn personalities (which in most walks of life I prefer, rather than brash extroverts) on both their and my parts resulted in only brief exchanges of conversation. The rallies in question were very sparsely attended and perhaps it was just an unfortunate circumstance that there was no one there who I really hit it off with.  It was very different when I joined the G3 Society, as without exception all the members I met in the early days (some of whom are still around, some sadly departed), and continue to meet right up to date, were and are the friendliest people I know.  This, completely apart from the delights of Gauge 3 layouts, locos and stock, is what makes the Society the best hobby organization I have ever belonged to.

Many thanks, Ben 

John Baguley

Member of North West Leicestershire SME
Secretary National 2½" Gauge Association

IanT

Hallo Ben,

Took me a while to dig some photos of my Atlantic out - I've been moving 'stuff' around here. Had to squash them up to fit John's 100k file limit but I hope you will get a general impression of the engine.

Regards,

IanT

Geoff Nicholls

That's a very smart looking loco.  They were showing off the underframe of the LBSC Atlantic under construction on the Bluebell line recently, the clearance with the driving wheel flanges was about 3/4 of an inch, you could barely get your hand between the wheels. I don't know how you can model that with our overscale flanges.
Geoff.

Ben_C

That is indeed a beauty IanT, would be nice to see it running one day!