• Welcome to The Forum for Gauge 3 Model Trains.

The Gauge 3 Society       2.1/2 inch Gauge Association       Cookies and privacy HOW TO JOIN: to request forum membership please click here

Gauge 3 Society members must be logged in to view the Society section
  G3 Clubroom

Welcome to the G3 Clubroom. This is the friendly online forum where members share ideas and inspiration, suggestions and advice, modelling tips, pictures and drawings, and general chat about our fine hobby of Gauge 3 railway modelling. A warm welcome, and enjoy your visit here today.

Axle Hung Motor Gearbox (AHMG)

Started by IanT, Sep 15 2015 10:14

« previous - next »

Peaky 556

Ralph, I make that 5.33 ratio, worse than Ian's suggestion (isn't there an annual maths test for the Technical Advisor?  ;))
Are Muffet gears good value, do they have a minimum sale value policy or similar, or are they modeller friendly? And is it a case of any colour you wish provided that it is red?
Cheers, Tim

John Candy

Quoteisn't there an annual maths test for the Technical Advisor?

How about this 'teaser'?

If a southbound NON-STOP  train leaves Newcastle Central at 09:30 travelling at an average speed twice that of a NON-STOP northbound train leaving Kings X at 08:30, how far has each travelled when they pass (naming the station nearest to the passing place)?

I bet Ralph will have the answer pretty quickly!

No prizes for the correct answer (and no I haven't done the calculation ... since firstly you need to find the mileage down the ECML)!

John
My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

AllWight

But if its a first train or virgin surely the answer is at what staion will the service be terminated and carried on by rail replacemnt bus service

John Candy

QuoteBut if its a first train or virgin..........

Additional info:

Southbound hauled by a Deltic , northbound by an A3!
My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

cabbage

Tim....

I know I am having problems with Glaucoma -but 64 / 12 is 5.33R... Muffet provide gears to "O" "1" and "3" model loco builders on an EACH basis if you want. Hostaform, (I call it Delrin), is only available in White. I have contacted Muffet and they will send the prices via e-mail.

regards

ralph

IanT

I'd be interested to see that pricelist when you get it Ralph.

I'm afraid I've not had much time for this and will not be able to look at it over the weekend either. Just had a quick 'fiddle' with the idler though - which makes it more compact. The HPC main (84t) gear is 5mm wide, so would need to be 'thinned' to fit. This assumes 50mm (motor) + one boss (3mm) and gear >5mm to fit between 58mm wheelset. Will do another version with motor completely clear. Still needs playing with to find best compromise layout but will also look at alternative gear sets too.

Regards,

IanT

Nothing's ever Easy - At least the first time around.

cabbage

Hot off the Mail Server we have the following:

The price per gear is as follows:

1 off       S0.7 012H             £0.29p (12 tooth)
1 off       S0.7 040H             £0.89p (40 tooth)
1 off       S0.7 064H             £1.63p (64 tooth)

VAT is in addition to the above prices.
Postage & Packing via First Class Post would be £5.00.

Best regards,

Carrie Yarrow
Muffett Gears
Tel:    01892 542111
Fax:   01892 542117
Email: carrie-yarrow@muffett.co.uk

I think they could have a few customers???

regards

ralph

IanT

Thanks Ralph,

I'll take a look at these later in the week.

Regards,

IanT

IanT

Had a few moments to spare - so quickly looked at Ralphs Muffetts 0.7MOD gearing

It works Ok but the large gear may be a bit close to the ground on the smaller wheels sets. Like the price though...

Regards,

IanT

IanT

If you don't want to know about AHMG gear ratios for the HQ7P motor - then please pass quickly on to another post!  :-)

I've now looked at multiple versions of the gearing and the current version is a 2-stage one that gives a 1:9.6 ratio, which I think should be usable. I've employed a 15t (steel) pinion from Technobots and the rest are Hostaform (Delrin) gears from HPC. The cost of this combination is (for a one-off set) £16.67 but should be lower with volume.

This simple design exercise might seem quite a trivial thing to do but it's taken me a while because;

a) Most manufacturers have a limited range of 'tooth numbers' for Delrin gears available when compared to their metal counterparts. (This is why I've used HPC rather than Muffett btw Ralph)
b) For "off-the-shelf" use, I needed intermediate gears with a common axle bore and,
c) I wanted a 'full' intermediate axle (that needed to be outside the motor diameter) rather than use a 'stub' axle for the intermediates.

To be honest, at one point I thought I might not find a usable combination but I eventually tried a mix of MOD gear sizes and this helped. So the first train is 0.5 MOD and the second is 0.7 MOD.

Anyway, (all) we need to do now is find a simple/affordable way to mechanically fit & mount my chosen components into some form of workable 'gearbox'. I'll have a go at this next week and assuming that I can come up with something, I will then build a prototype to test. Please don't hold your breath....

Regards,

IanT

Peaky 556

This all sounds very positive ian, am watching with great interest, thank you.
For what it's worth I do think you are right to suggest supporting the idler shaft on both sides. Dave Lowe used some natty little PTFE lined top-hat bushes for his Peak gearboxes; they may do the trick for this intermediate shaft and take up little space.
Keep up the good work, Tim

IanT

Hi Tim,

I've had a very quick look for PTFE steel bushes and have found several sources and more importantly - they seem to be made to standard dimensions (which I now have). Without hunting around, they retail at about 50p each, so are affordable.

A very useful suggestion, thank you.

Regards,

IanT

cabbage

For those who are poor and penniless amoungst us...

Being brought up in "Sanctions" does tend to amplify the cheapskate in my mind!!!
It should work at wheels of 3'7" although the gear sizes may be a bit "tight" on the Motor and the Bull gears but it is £13.57p cheaper per axle. Ratio is (as far as I can see...) 1:17.77R

regards

ralph

Peaky 556

Make and modulus and material needed please Ralph, don't drop tantalising morsels without the goods!
If they are cheaper than Ian's solution by £13.57, then are you saying the whole lot costs only £3.10??
I struggle to believe that, even from a thrifty chap like you!
Tim

cabbage

Tim,

I thought I was the one supposed to be going blind? The Gears are Muffet 0.7mod made from Delrin -as in the price list above. I *DID* say that they might be having a few orders???

regards

ralph