Author Topic: Best batteries for an 0-4-0  (Read 1291 times)

Offline Traininvain

Best batteries for an 0-4-0
« on: Oct 07 2015 17:17 »
I have an 0-4-0 tank loco that was originally powered by 12 140mAh 1.2V Sub C NicCad batteries. These need to be replaced and there appear to be 2 options:

Option 1. 12 Sub C 3300mAh 1.2 V NiMH batteries, standard discharge
Option 2. 12 AA 2300mAh 1.2V NiMH batteries, low self discharge

I've no idea what the motor is, except that it's an old but seemingly well made can motor which seems to work very well so I don't plan to replace it or the gearbox arrangement. The only mod I do plan to make is to convert the loco from manual control to a R/C - manual control hybrid.

I'd prefer to use the low self discharge batteries, but understand that the higher current draw may degrade the lower power batteries if they're required to supply current at more than half their capacity per hour. Can anyone assist me here please in the absence of info on actual current draw. Tx

Ian

Offline Traininvain

Re: Best batteries for an 0-4-0
« Reply #1 on: Oct 07 2015 17:18 »
I should have said 12 1400mAh batteries!!!

Ian

Offline cabbage

« Reply #2 on: Oct 08 2015 06:50 »
Option One.  The "C" cells have larger plates and will be able to handle the larger current draw. I think your worries about how fast the charge will fade are not really important.

regards

ralph

Offline Traininvain

« Reply #3 on: Oct 08 2015 09:08 »
many tx Ralph

Ian

Offline cabbage

« Reply #4 on: Oct 08 2015 09:28 »
I wrote this in 2009 -you may find it useful.

http://www.cabbagepatchrailway.webspace.virginmedia.com/batteries.pdf

One thing not noted in the article is the fact that NiCd and NiMH batteries have pressure vents to discharge Hydrogen. Blocking the vents is dangerous in the fact that it will cause to battery to "swell" and rupture.

regards

ralph