• Welcome to The Forum for Gauge 3 Model Trains.

The Gauge 3 Society       2.1/2 inch Gauge Association       Cookies and privacy HOW TO JOIN: to request forum membership please click here

Gauge 3 Society members must be logged in to view the Society section
  G3 Clubroom

Welcome to the G3 Clubroom. This is the friendly online forum where members share ideas and inspiration, suggestions and advice, modelling tips, pictures and drawings, and general chat about our fine hobby of Gauge 3 railway modelling. A warm welcome, and enjoy your visit here today.

Loco head lamps

Started by Jon Nazareth, Nov 14 2015 11:47

« previous - next »

Jon Nazareth

I'm finally putting together my Manning Wardle and thinking to myself that it would benefit from a GOOD head lamp.  Does anyone know where I might buy such a thing?  I have one of the GRS white metal lamps but I'm hoping to do much better.

Jon

Jon Nazareth

Just to show the sort of thing I'm after but, I suppose any good looking lamp would suffice.

Jon

Geoff Nicholls

you could try the 16mm suppliers, DJB engineering have something like that on their website
Geoff.

Jon Nazareth

Thanks, Geoff, I'll have a look in a minute.

Jon

blagdon

Jon,

Did you ever find a fancy headlamp for your Manning Wardle? Ken, Dave and Liz have now finished mine, but it really needs a lamp with what I would call a 'collared' lens.

Ian the Gauge '3' Pirate

classicdelights

Gents

Are there any suppliers of a generic BR type lamp for gauge 3?  I was wondering if anything was produced by the G scale suppliers that would do.  Nothing fancy is required, just a white metal or resin job that will look something like a typical British lamp and can be used for head or tail lamps on a train.  I have scanned eBay but nothing appears.

Thank you

Phil

Andy B

Modelu (http://www.modelu3d.co.uk/new-4mm-scale-loco-lamps/) are proposing to produce up to 7mm scale - worth asking if they'll do a G3 version too.

Andy

MikeWilliams

A manufacturer of 5in gauge cast brass lamps approached me in the summer about scaling his CAD patterns down to Gauge 3.  I was keen, but they have yet to appear.  So, we may have some soon . . . or we may not!

Mike

Try IP Engineering. They produce mainly narrow gauge stuff, but this lamp may be useful. Sold with a red LED but this can be replaced with a white one or dummy lens as required.

Robert. 492

blagdon

Well found Robert; this must be their 'Working rear lamp kit'? Any idea what are it's dimensions?

Ian the Gauge '3' Pirate

classicdelights

I sent an email to Modelu but no reply was forthcoming.  I will keep looking but a suitable object appears to be hard to find.

The dimensions of the IP Engineering lamp:-

Height:- Bottom of bracket to top of chimney--- 7/8 inch. (Total height of unit)

Lamp, excluding bracket and chimney:- 5/16 inch. (h)

Lamp part is square, so total width of unit is: 5/16 inch.

Robert. 492

MikeWilliams

I think that scales out at c5in square and 9in high, which sounds just about right.

Mike

blagdon

Robert & Mike,
many thanks, I'll about getting a couple for 'Thomas Albert'.

Ian

hornbeam

I've started fitting the IP lamps to brake vans and agree they are pretty good, maybe not spot on but at a good price so do the job well for me,

Simon