• Welcome to The Forum for Gauge 3 Model Trains.

The Gauge 3 Society       2.1/2 inch Gauge Association       Cookies and privacy HOW TO JOIN: to request forum membership please click here

Gauge 3 Society members must be logged in to view the Society section
  G3 Clubroom

Welcome to the G3 Clubroom. This is the friendly online forum where members share ideas and inspiration, suggestions and advice, modelling tips, pictures and drawings, and general chat about our fine hobby of Gauge 3 railway modelling. A warm welcome, and enjoy your visit here today.

LMS & LNER stock

Started by John Candy, Dec 11 2015 18:48

« previous - next »

John Candy

On several previous occasions I have suggested possible carriage projects to fill the huge gap in G3 for both RTR and kits.
There have been vague expressions of interest in the past but nothing sufficiently "concrete" to set anything in motion.

I will have more than enough locos and freight stock when my current building programme is completed (at least 17 locos and around 100 wagons) but have only a GWR "B set" (yet to be painted), an unstarted LNER Gresley "all third" GRS kit plus Wisbech & Upwell tramcars (two GRS kit-built bogie cars plus homecast parts for some 4-wheelers).

I need both LMS and LNER compartment and vestibule/open/corridor stock in quantity.

Current thinking is as follows:-
a) LMS steel-panelled stock built from punched aluminium sides/ends.
b) MR panelled stock from resin castings
c) GNR panelled 6-wheel (and articulated rebuild) stock from resin castings
d) LNER Standard Gresley stock from resin castings

The most expensive items required to produce the aluminium sides would be the punches, in a selection of standard sizes, to match the various LMS window types.

For the panelled stock, I am mulling-over the idea of using a "Silver Bullet" die cutter (cost around 650GBP) to cut out the patterns from which to make the moulds for resin casting. http://silverbulletcutters.com/specifications/

The "Silver Bullet"  packs a punch of 1250gm which is far more powerful than earlier types of craft cutter. It is capable of cutting thin chipboard and some plastics, so a lamination of 4 thicknessses could produce a pattern for a panelled coach. The machine can also engrave and emboss, so would also come in useful for the louvres , etc. in LMS 10000, a projected low-cost kit/RTR loco and next "step up" from the Sentinel loco.

While on the subject of coaches, a note I received today from Roger at Walsall says they are working on Mk.1 brake end coaches.....so that is good news for all those with Kingscale Britannias currently trailing a string of all-thirds!

John.
My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

classicdelights

Hello John

The aluminium coach shells for flush sided stock are used a lot in gauge 1, Peter Alliott is the main supplier of this type of shell.  I have used them in gauge 1 and they make good coaches but there is a lot of work required between the provided aluminium shell and the final coach.  One slight drawback is the requirement to 'post' the whole interior in through one end before attaching the end piece to the coach.  In the gauge 1 versions the roof forms part of the body, the problem being with removable roofs is how do you attach aluminium to more aluminium apart from some sort of glue which is usually unsatisfactory.  The other issue with gauge 3 will be how to hold the sides to the correct tumblehome curve, the ends are fine but the gauge 1 versions tend to go flat in the middle as you cannot have formers in the centre and get the interior in.

I made a load of BR Mk1s in gauge 1 and you get pretty punch-drunk trying to build a whole rake of coaches like this.

It  sounds like a big project, I wish you all the very best.

Phil

MikeWilliams

John,

Several times you have mentioned the lack of carriages available in Gauge 3.  At the AGM was an LNER suburban carriage which I understand was in the Newsletter a couple of years ago.  It was an enlargement of a G1 design, made of wood, and very nice indeed.  I understand the manufacturer has two or three other LNER designs ready for G3.  Just wondered if you knew of these?

Mike

MikeWilliams

Sorry - just checked the manufacturer.
http://www.kalasercraft.co.uk/home.html
Nothing about G3 on their website but apparently they have done them, so should be able to do them again.

Mike

IanT

Any idea how much anyone?

IanT
Nothing's ever Easy - At least the first time around.

MikeWilliams

No, sorry.  But I could ask my customer / G3S member who had it at the AGM and it was pictured in the Newsletter.

Mike

MikeWilliams

Oh, should have added that its body only .. but that's the hard part with these LNER coaches.

Mike

John Candy

If this is the example I think it is, then it was a dia.50, semi-corridor non-gangwayed lavatory compo.

Roger McL followed it up at the time with the chap who made it (I seem to recall he lived near Peterborough and Roger proposed I meet with him since P'boro is only a 30 minute drive from here) but got nowhere.... after initial, seemingly promising, response, he went quiet and Roger was unable to get any further response.

I seem to recall the cost was quite reasonable (c.200GBP) and Roger and I said we would take one each, possibly more.

John.
My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

IanT

I've asked for the price (sans bogies) - I'm not sure if the site was working properly though, as clicking the "submit" button didn't seem to do anything...  I'll let you know if I get a reply.

Regards,

IanT

IanT

Nothing heard from KAL as yet - so assuming the website might not be handling 'contacts' too well, I've resorted to old technology - and sent him an email.  :-)

Regards,

IanT

John Candy

Ian,
Hope you have better luck than Roger McL.
Speaking with him earlier and he sent umpteen emails without a single reply!
Regards,
John.

Keith Bucklitch

KAL have not been in production for some time due to illness. 
Keith