• Welcome to The Forum for Gauge 3 Model Trains.

The Gauge 3 Society       2.1/2 inch Gauge Association       Cookies and privacy HOW TO JOIN: to request forum membership please click here

Gauge 3 Society members must be logged in to view the Society section
  G3 Clubroom

Welcome to the G3 Clubroom. This is the friendly online forum where members share ideas and inspiration, suggestions and advice, modelling tips, pictures and drawings, and general chat about our fine hobby of Gauge 3 railway modelling. A warm welcome, and enjoy your visit here today.

Resin masters

Started by hornbeam, Aug 08 2017 14:19

« previous - next »

hornbeam

Hi,

For those with experience of Resin moulding I have a question.

How much does Resin shrink by when it sets? Reason I ask is Im after coach kit that the the mould has warn and the patterns are damaged.I have a complete kit that I've borrowed and I'd like to use the mouldings in this kit as a pattern to make new mounds.

This is not in anyway to copy an existing product as I will be involving the original supplier first to see if they are interested, I just wondered if this would even work? Longest mould is 460mm long

Thanks

Simon

John Candy

Simon,

It depends upon the resin used but anything from almost nothing up to 1%.
The silicone mould can also shrink, so the pattern needs to be anything up to 1% larger than the final size.

If you work on basis of making pattern 1% larger than final casting it will come out about right assuming 0.5% shrinkage at each stage.

John
My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

hornbeam

Thanks John most useful.