• Welcome to The Forum for Gauge 3 Model Trains.

The Gauge 3 Society       2.1/2 inch Gauge Association       Cookies and privacy HOW TO JOIN: to request forum membership please click here

Gauge 3 Society members must be logged in to view the Society section
  G3 Clubroom

Welcome to the G3 Clubroom. This is the friendly online forum where members share ideas and inspiration, suggestions and advice, modelling tips, pictures and drawings, and general chat about our fine hobby of Gauge 3 railway modelling. A warm welcome, and enjoy your visit here today.

Compact Axle Hung Motor Gearbox

Started by Peaky 556, Jan 10 2016 20:02

« previous - next »

John Candy

The photos referred to above.
My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

IanT

Well you know how it is Tim, you wait ages for a bus and then two come along one after the other!   :)

Well done. A very solid looking design and I look forward to seeing it at the AGM.

Regards,

IanT
Nothing's ever Easy - At least the first time around.

John Candy

Tim,

Looks good and is that a Powermaster motor you have installed?
How does cost compare with Phil's "Rolls Royce" verison?

Same questions a asked in regard to Phil's version : How much torque it produces at 12V (and the current draw and casing temperature  under sustained load) as well as top speed with a typical size wheel (say, c. 47mm dia.) and the "stall" current (for cut-out/fuse setting purposes).

Regards,
John.
My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

Peaky 556

Well I think I now have costed in all of the misc fasteners, such as those for attaching the output gear to the inside of the loco wheel, and can now tot up the total costs. Like Phil, for the sake of comparison and if one were to buy all of the bits then do some uncosted engineering work on them to assemble, the numbers look like:
Gears  £21.82
Bearings  £7.78
Laser cut sideplates and the special frame stretchers that restrain the movements of the gearboxes  £18.97
Shafting and spacers £14.55
Fasteners  £6.09
The total cost of parts and postage is £69.21, however these quantities make up the three gearboxes I shall require for one power bogie on my 'Peak'.

John - I can't comment on performance of the HQ7P motor as I have yet to test it, so safe voltages, current draws, speeds and torques will have to wait.  I have an inkling, however, that these motors are rather low power devices, probably best suited to no more than 6V continuous voltage.  I am only expecting a power consumption per unit of around 12W, which is another reason why I think an express loco will require six of them, and hence why I have contrived to squeeze three of them into a single bogie!  My inkling is based on prelim results from Ralph's testing of a sample motor, in which casing temperature began to climb rather a lot at only a couple of amps draw.

Goodnight all, Tim

Peaky 556

Three compact AHMGs have been finally assembled with wheels, and run in.  Some of you may have seen them at the AGM.  Today I fitted them into a bogie for test purposes and ran it at Ralph's GTG. It was a bit rushed and so it wasn't tested properly at 6V supply, but with a 12V SLA it ran very well, and probably exceeded the ton! ????
Happy daze, Tim