• Welcome to The Forum for Gauge 3 Model Trains.

The Gauge 3 Society       2.1/2 inch Gauge Association       Cookies and privacy HOW TO JOIN: to request forum membership please click here

Gauge 3 Society members must be logged in to view the Society section
  G3 Clubroom

Welcome to the G3 Clubroom. This is the friendly online forum where members share ideas and inspiration, suggestions and advice, modelling tips, pictures and drawings, and general chat about our fine hobby of Gauge 3 railway modelling. A warm welcome, and enjoy your visit here today.

LBSCR Brake Van

Started by Jon Nazareth, Jan 24 2016 10:02

« previous - next »

Jon Nazareth

Good morning all,

Latest project is to be a brake van as per this photo which is in O gauge.  My question is, does anyone know if there would have been a liner to the permanently open window that would hide the ends of the planks?  If it was rebated in order to hide the ends of the planks, the all of the framing would need to be reduced in thickness in order to make it all fit and I somehow can't see that happening.

Jon

IanT

I'm afraid I can't help you with your query Jon - but it's an interesting 'framing' job for you.

Are you going to build her in wood or Plasticard?

Regards,

IanT
Nothing's ever Easy - At least the first time around.

Jon Nazareth

Ian

It will all be in plasticard as I find that the easiest material to work with.
Jamie Page has come up with an idea re the board ends.  Looking at the picture, if the boards are cut slightly short on the right hand side of the opening then, a simple cover fillet could be fixed on the inside to hide the ends of the boards.  This is what I'll be aiming for in the build of the model.

These pictures show the under frame already made up.  It's not at all ala prototype but it suits me.  I use wooden blocks that act as spacers and they are all held tightly or at least tightly enough, by the cams.

Jon

Jon Nazareth

it always happens to me  :(.  Here is the other picture.

Jon

Jon Nazareth

I've finally finished the main part of the body and am turning my thoughts to roof construction and fixing in place.  I would like a styrene one as it would the correct thickness and easier to fit but I don't have a big enough former.  Brass would be easier to make but I will need to build up the thickness somehow and then devise an easy way of fixing it in place.  I intend to paint the inside and outside before fixing the roof in place.  Any thoughts would be gratefully welcomed.

Jon

MikeWilliams

Quote from: Jon Nazareth on Feb 21 2016 14:30
I've finally finished the ...

Blimey, I'd still be thinking about how best to start it and you've almost finished!

Have you considered aluminium for the roof? Laminated to styrene if absolutely necessary.

Mike

Peaky 556

Hi Jon, have you thought about 0.8mm thick ply? It's easy to bend and very rigid when in a curve.
I don't know what finished thickness you want but that equates to very nearly 3/4".
Regards, Tim

Jon Nazareth

Dear Tim

Thanks for the suggestion and that certainly would be an option as it wold show a thickness to the roof boards.  I would have to make up some ribs so that the ply would hold it's curve but that should be easy enough.  This van is a scale 20' and the longest I've made to date.

Regards
Jon

Peaky 556

Jon, my model had a roof length of 13" with two intermediate shaped frames, and the end result is very rigid.  I bought my ply over the counter at a model shop and a large sheet of around 3' x 1' was £11.
Have fun, Tim

Geoff Nicholls

Jon,
have you seen the method Steve Cook used to attach the roof to his GER brake van? basically two long screws under the roof secured through holes in the floor. There's a photo in his thread about it in western Thunder.
Geoff.