• Welcome to The Forum for Gauge 3 Model Trains.

The Gauge 3 Society       2.1/2 inch Gauge Association       Cookies and privacy HOW TO JOIN: to request forum membership please click here

Gauge 3 Society members must be logged in to view the Society section
  G3 Clubroom

Welcome to the G3 Clubroom. This is the friendly online forum where members share ideas and inspiration, suggestions and advice, modelling tips, pictures and drawings, and general chat about our fine hobby of Gauge 3 railway modelling. A warm welcome, and enjoy your visit here today.

laser cutting of plastic

Started by John Candy, Feb 04 2016 20:16

« previous - next »

John Candy

I have been asked by a kit producer whether I can make any recommendations as to best plastic to use in a laser cutter.

He has just received a new machine and is wondering where to start.

I believe some plastics will darken, go brittle or even melt if put under a laser (? styrene) and give off nasty fumes.

He is thinking of cutting out windows, doors and suchlike for kits of buildings.

John
My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

Geoff Nicholls

most laser cutting services don't take styrene because of the fumes. The stuff I had done at one who did was a bit of a melted mess.
Acrylic sheets can be cut, and you can use plastic weld to glue them. A company in York http://www.yorkmodelmaking.com/ do a lot with Rowmark, which I believe is a trade name for a kind of acrylic material that looks exactly like plastikard. He'd do well to have a look at their website.
Geoff.

John Candy

Thanks Geoff, I have passed on that info.

John.
My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

wolfstone

Just visited the suggested site, very interesting. Has any one approached them for  G3 items. This sort of service I think could be useful for those of us who do not have the skills to  scratch build all the elements required.
Tim

LankyTank

John

Andy Mould of Woodbury Models has done a fair amount of work with Rowmark & laser cutting - might be worth a contact - I believe he is known to various members of this forum & is very approachable.

HTH
Baz