Author Topic: Firing shovel for live steam  (Read 1302 times)

Offline Bronzino

• G3 Society Member
  • Group A Forum Member
  • Mark Alexander
Firing shovel for live steam
« on: Apr 20 2016 17:41 »
Hi all,
I have been looking for a shovel for G3 live steam and have not had any luck so far. There seems to be shovels for 3.5" at various ME stockists. Any suggestions for stockists of 2.5"? Failing that, would 3.5 sized shovels fit (I'm guessing it may be tight). The firebox door is reasonably generous at a little over an inch wide and I can get my thumb in it without any problems but would obviously prefer a shovel.
Many thanks in advance,
Mark

Offline IanT

Re: Firing shovel for live steam
« Reply #1 on: Apr 20 2016 19:04 »
None that come to mind Mark.

I'm afraid that I have been guilty of using a tea-spoon before now but certain un-named members sniggered at me - so I made (a non-prototypical) one. It isn't 'shovel' shaped I'm afraid but is in fact round and just fits into the fire hole. Essentially, it's a bit of pipe with one end 'plugged' (and hard soldered) and the working end cut/filed about half away. The 'plug' has been drilled & tapped to take a handle. So in operation, you fill it up with coal, insert it into the fire-box and then rotate it to empty the coal out. It works quite well and seems to distribute the coal evenly - but I'm afraid it's not very 'shovel' like.

Regards,

IanT
Nothing's ever Easy - At least the first time around.

Offline hornbeam

« Reply #2 on: Apr 20 2016 21:20 »
These guys list a firing set on this page:

http://www.djb.brushhouse.co.uk/kit-cf-ragleth.shtml

Offline Bronzino

• G3 Society Member
  • Group A Forum Member
  • Mark Alexander
« Reply #3 on: Apr 20 2016 22:07 »
Many thanks for the tip, I'll give DJB a call. I had tried an ice cream spoon with a decent long handle and it worked but  makes the tender look like a pudding bowl.
Cheers
Mark