• Welcome to The Forum for Gauge 3 Model Trains.

The Gauge 3 Society       2.1/2 inch Gauge Association       Cookies and privacy HOW TO JOIN: to request forum membership please click here

Gauge 3 Society members must be logged in to view the Society section
  G3 Clubroom

Welcome to the G3 Clubroom. This is the friendly online forum where members share ideas and inspiration, suggestions and advice, modelling tips, pictures and drawings, and general chat about our fine hobby of Gauge 3 railway modelling. A warm welcome, and enjoy your visit here today.

GWR Dean 4 Wheelers: a proposed kit

Started by Geoff Nicholls, Jun 21 2016 13:45

« previous - next »

Geoff Nicholls

The photo shows the laser cut parts for the bodies of three GWR Dean four-wheeled carriages, an S9 5 comp third, a U4 4 comp composite, and a T47 brake third. It is hoped that these will be added, as kits, to the Williams Models range eventually. All three saw use on GWR branchlines even as late as the 1940's, I have made the compartments of the third 5' 7 1/4" instead of 5' 6 1/4" so you could kit-bash them to produce a 40 foot bogie clerestory.
The parts were cut by York Modelmaking from their laserable plastic/acrylic material. The floors and partitions from 2mm, the sides from two layers of 1mm, and the mouldings from 0,.5mm.
The prominent windows beading, the bolections are 3D printed. The plan is that each body will be a one piece resin casting, like the vans in Mike's range.
The underframes have not been started yet, but I'm thinking etched brass with brass castings for springs etc.
I've got a lot of other work on, at present, and Mike has several other kits in the pipeline, so I don't expect the kits to be available for at least year. we don't have a price, but I hope it will be similar to prices of other stock in the WM range.
It is important for us to know the projected level of demand. so, please let me or Mike know if you would be interested in buying one or more of these carriages.
Geoff.

LankyTank

Geoff

I would like to register my interest but it's the wrong part of the country for me.... Sorry.

However, bl**dy nice job!!!! Well done, just goes to show what can be achieved. Now, if you want to do some artwork for coaches that ran 'up North' perhaps we can talk......

Keep up the good work.

Did you manage to get your operators licence after your weekend at Rothley?

Take care
Barry (the other one - NOT Mr Lane).

Geoff Nicholls

I think I'll be wearing a large green 'P'
I do occasionally speculate about doing some MS & L stuff, as that's where i was brought up, but I should really be concentrating on GER.
Geoff.

unklian

I'd go for some MS&L 4 wheelers, for the simple reason some ended up on the Isle of Wight .

David_G

Hi

I would definitely be interested in at least one, possibly more depending on price.

Regards

dave

MikeWilliams

I'll have a train Geoff, of whichever vehicles you feel make a suitably short but authentic train.  I don't necessarily want everything in my own range, but I'd have these.  With a train of my LNWR 6-wheelers and hoped for GER 4-wheelers, that gives me three authentic trains for little effort.  But I have no plans for a GWR 517 or similar.

Mike

MikeWilliams

Also Geoff, is there a photo of a suitable train you could post a link to?  prototype or model?

Mike