• Welcome to The Forum for Gauge 3 Model Trains.

The Gauge 3 Society       2.1/2 inch Gauge Association       Cookies and privacy HOW TO JOIN: to request forum membership please click here

Gauge 3 Society members must be logged in to view the Society section
  G3 Clubroom

Welcome to the G3 Clubroom. This is the friendly online forum where members share ideas and inspiration, suggestions and advice, modelling tips, pictures and drawings, and general chat about our fine hobby of Gauge 3 railway modelling. A warm welcome, and enjoy your visit here today.

Final Appeal for help : "Baddesley" coal wagon info.

Started by John Candy, Oct 02 2012 08:21

« previous - next »

John Candy

POWSides offer BPCM (British Portland Cement Co.) and "Ferrocrete" liveries (and another cement manufacturer "Spinx") but could not see "Blue Circle" on their list.

Since the GWR Iron Mink (Dia V6) kit is a one-piece body they may not be prepared to supply ready-finished (just a "rub down" type  transfer sheet).
For the "opens" they want the sides/ends supplied "flat".

John C.

My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

Kalinowski

Hi John,

Thanks for the info on costs re POWsides. I looked up some chat on the web about these transfers and some folks commented that the transfers did not stick well on some surfaces unless they had been prepared with gloss paint etc.  These transfers seem to be the same approach as Lettraset that have been around since the 1960s!!!

In other words these might not work on wood bodies just painted with Precision Paints, unless gloss is used and even then might not work as the surface would be lumpy, unlike the smooth surface of plastic.

I will buy some of the lettering and see what happens.

John Candy

Peter,

POWSides told me that the wagons should be supplied to them in a MATT finish, since the transfers stick better than to gloss.
I shall be letting them apply the transfers to my samples, so it will be their problem!

Regards,
John.
My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

MikeWilliams

I make no apology for starting this topic again.  Things have moved on since 2012 and Fox now do a very large range of transfers in Gauge 3, but still nobody does private owner wagons except the old GRS ones.  The few I drew up and had printed have now sold out and I don't really want to have them done again, so, the obvious thing would seem to be, commission POWSides to enlarge something to our scale, as a starter.

Prices will have risen since John obtained the quote above and I know several people have enquired from POWSides about Gauge 3 but none have followed through with an order, so I'd rather be close to a firm order before bothering them again.  Taking the two colour quote John had, a batch of ten wagons (just transfers, NOT applied) would come to £300 (£20 setup and £28 per set), probably plus VAT.  Shall we say a worst case of £35 per wagon.  If five members come on board I'll guarantee the other five in order to make this reality, and then I hope POWSides would add them to their range.

Do modellers want to stick with John's original suggestion of Baddesley or would you prefer something else? Here's a link to Baddesley Colliery and I see they had a Garrett of the type Dick Allen modelled, so he'll probably want a couple of dozen of their wagons!

To summarise – if you would like to commit to a set of transfers for this 7-plank coal wagon at a price up to £35 please respond or let me know privately.  If we get five I'll start talking to POWSides ... again.

Thank you.

Mike