• Welcome to The Forum for Gauge 3 Model Trains.

The Gauge 3 Society       2.1/2 inch Gauge Association       Cookies and privacy HOW TO JOIN: to request forum membership please click here

Gauge 3 Society members must be logged in to view the Society section
  G3 Clubroom

Welcome to the G3 Clubroom. This is the friendly online forum where members share ideas and inspiration, suggestions and advice, modelling tips, pictures and drawings, and general chat about our fine hobby of Gauge 3 railway modelling. A warm welcome, and enjoy your visit here today.

Warning of fake Boiler Test Certificates in circulation

Started by Roy, Oct 01 2016 19:02

« previous - next »

Roy

Please see note below from the Southern Federation of Model Engineering Societies.

It has come to the attention of the Southern Federation that there a number of fake boiler test certificates currently in circulation.
Please advise your boiler inspectors and members who may be considering the purchase of a boiler, or who have recently purchased a boiler, to carefully check the 'C' number in the top right corner of the certificate. This must be a pre-printed number for the certificate to be a valid original.
Where hand written numbers are present, the certificate must be considered to be fake.
Mr. Peter Squire
Southern Federation of Model Engineering Societies
Mobile: + 44 7763149241
Home: + 44 1327342167

Roy Horrocks
Chairman, Gauge 3 Society

cabbage

Roy,

Is it possible to see a "fake" on versus a "real" one?

regards

ralph

IanT

I doubt Roy can show you a "fake" one Ralph (although they are apparently in circulation) but it's probably worth noting that the "real" ones not only have a printed serial number but also give the name of the SF affiliated Club or Society and that of the 'Controlling Engineer' (e.g. the Boiler Inspector who issued the test certificate).

So it should be relatively simple to contact the named Club/Society (even if it needs to be done through the SF) to check with the issuing BT that the certificate is valid - if there is any nagging doubt when purchasing an engine, especially where its more recent history is not known for certain. Obviously, as a small Society, it is very simple to check the validity of any boiler certificate that has been issued by one of our G3S boiler testers.

By the way Ralph - your Green Book is in the post and I have your 'Written Scheme of Examination' pads (which you can collect off me at the AGM) which should give you time to get your test gauge calibrated.  :-)

Regards,

IanT
Nothing's ever Easy - At least the first time around.

Roy

Thanks Ian, I agree with your note. 

Thanks also for sending the Green Book to Ralph.

Regards, Roy

cabbage

Green Book arrived this morning.

regards

ralph