Author Topic: Monkton Priors .... Something Different!  (Read 1016 times)

Offline John Candy

Monkton Priors .... Something Different!
« on: December 11, 2016, 09:12:16 PM »
One task which needs volunteers is the sewing of the "drapes" to hide the supporting  "legs" of the layout.
I doubt any of our male G3S members possesses the necessary skills, so the team is hoping a female member or wife/girlfriend of a member will help with the task.

So you know what is involved, a total length of 24 metres, with a "drop" of around 33 inches, are the approximate dimensions involved. Ideally, the job would be split between two or more volunteers.
The material would be Navy Blue polyester dress lining and the the method of attaching to the track boards would be by Velcro.

Any seamsters or seamstresses out there?

Monkton Priors needs you now!

John.
My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

Offline Andy B

Re: Monkton Priors .... Something Different!
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2016, 10:23:33 AM »
John,

I'll ask my 'local seamstress'.
I have no practical experience of layout drapes myself, but I do know from other jobs she's done that there will be questions including:
1) How many sections do you anticipate the 24m being split into?
2) Do you already have the fabric, and is it cut to width? Most fabrics come in 54" or 60" widths - cutting 24m of it to width (even in shorter sections) will be a challenge. If it is possible to buy the fabric in, for example a 36" width it would simplify the job a lot.
3) Does it just need hemming - no gathers or anything else?
4) Just a double-fold 1/2" hem all round (maybe deeper top & bottom depending on fabric width and actual drop)?
5) Is it to be attached to the outside of the boards, or inside (like a curtain pelmet)? If outside, do you want the top edge to sit absolutely flush? - a hemmed edge will tend to curl a bit.
6) Velcro - continuous or in separate pieces? Continuous would help alleviate any wrinkling, if it was sewn right along the edge.

Andy

Offline John Candy

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2016, 10:38:45 AM »
Andy,

That would be most helpful.

The material (not yet ordered) was to be this Navy blue polyester material

http://www.cheapfabrics.co.uk/thestore/product_info.php/cPath/94_1639/products_id/7784?osCsid=528i3lg6ktp0manelp9nktdo87

and this Velcro in Navy and on a 25 metre roll

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20mm-Sew-on-Hook-Loop-tape-Alfatex-Brand-supplied-by-the-Velcro-Companies-/262390104546

I would anticipate the velcro being in a continuous strip on each section and each section being approx. 2 metres in length (3 if manageable).

No "gathers", just hemming.
To be attached to outside edge of boards.
Not too concerned about flush fit but expert advice welcomed on all aspects!

Hope it may be possible to add "iron-on" transfers with G3S logo in pale green at some stage but not a priority.

Regards,
John.

P.S. I have ordered a sample of the material and will forward for approval.
My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

Offline MikeWilliams

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2016, 06:46:19 PM »
Is it fire resistant?  Some exhibition managers insist on it.

Mike

Offline John Candy

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2016, 07:26:40 PM »
Mike,

From what I have read, polyester is naturally fire retardant, see quote below.

Inherently flame-retardant fabrics are certified in the United Kingdom by various British Standards. Polyester is inherently flame retardant, and therefore doesn't flare up when applied to various tests. Fire-retardant fabrics sold in the UK for use as curtains must abide by BS 5867 Part 2 B & C, a British Standard. Other relevant UK standards include BS 5815-1 2005, BS 7175, Crib 5, IMO A563 and NFPA 701.

John.

Offline MikeWilliams

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2016, 11:23:16 PM »
That's good John.  In that case the seller will probably certify that and it may also have a label sewn into it.

I have never been asked to price the fabric but know people who have been years ago.  One exhibition manager reputedly produced a cigarette lighter if you couldn't produce a certificate!

Mike

Offline AllWight

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2016, 02:18:31 PM »
It is normal practice to have a minimum of 2" clearance between the floor and the lower edge of the hem for fire safety reasons.

Offline John Candy

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2016, 02:44:41 PM »
Thank you Mark.

Dave Walker has recommended approx. 6 inches and that should also prevent anyone treading on or tripping over the fringes.

Regards,
John.