Author Topic: crushable copper washers or red sealant ?  (Read 959 times)

Offline cabbage

crushable copper washers or red sealant ?
« on: January 02, 2017, 01:50:58 PM »
My Brotan boiler is soaking in Citric acid at the moment -I am trying to make it look pretty for the AGM!!! There are a number of fitting that need to be added to the bushes and associated pipework. I was "brought up" on copper crush washers to seal steam unions to bushes. Friends of mine running G1 steam locos use Red Hermatite sealant to slather over the threads before screwing them in.

I would like to use washers but I haven't been able to find any in IMPERIAL sizes(!) 6mm bore ones I can get by the bucket load but not any 1/4" bore...

Yes I know -it really doesn't matter mechanically which I use. But I really DO want to use copper washers.

Anyone any sources or ideas?

regards

ralph

Offline Peaky 556

Re: crushable copper washers or red sealant ?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2017, 07:41:21 PM »
Ralph,
Are you sure that the metric "M6" type will not fit your 1/4" unions? I have come across many vendors who sell a washer as suitable for both M6 and 1/4" duties.  One deduces the hole is at least 6.35.
I can have a look in my jar marked "old Copper Washers that may come in use one day.." if you like and see what I have.  How many do you require?
Regards, Tim

Offline cabbage

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2017, 08:04:44 PM »
Tim,

The type of washers that I am looking for have a sort of bellows type cross section and tightening them up crushes the bellows flat but ensures a perfect face to face seal.

I will put a caliper on the threads in the morning but they are either ME32 1/4 OR ME40 1/4...

A solid copper washer I could bore out to 1/4" but if I tried that with a true crushable I would end up with pieces of copper...

Regards

Ralph

Offline 492

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2017, 09:47:50 PM »
Hi Tim.

My brother Garry (you met him at the AGM) tells me that Reeves will supply want you want.

http://www.ajreeves.com/6666.html

He Says..."Reeves are still advertising imperial copper washers in packs of several thicknesses. These are not of bellows section, but if using 40tpi ME threads a complete turn is 25thou, hence fitment can be tightened to a nicety and when heat expands it the seal is even better. (32 tpi gives just over 31thou per turn.) A nicer job than using sealer or ptfe but more trouble."

Hope that this is of use for you.

Robert 492

Offline 492

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2017, 10:37:34 PM »
Sorry Ralph and Tim.
Mixed up your names.

Robert.

Offline Peaky 556

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2017, 10:42:27 PM »
Ralph, ok I now understand what section you ideally want, i.e. like a spark plug washer, but don't necessarily discount the use of solid copper washers. Heat them to bright red and quench, and this annealing process makes the copper extremely soft.  It is normal in the automotive industry to seal unions in such a manner.
Regards, Tim

Offline John Candy

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2017, 01:48:30 AM »

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/331620671697?lpid=122&chn=ps&adgroupid=33676502101&rlsatarget=pla-271883322715&adtype=pla&poi=&googleloc=1006699&device=c&campaignid=707291931&crdt=0

Is this what you are looking for?
If you went to the service counter at Halfords (or other car parts shop) you may well find that they have stock of parts for older vehicles (or perhaps try somewhere like Frost Restorations)?

John
My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.