Author Topic: Acrylic paints  (Read 882 times)

Offline wolfstone

• G3S : Monkton Priors Team
  • Group A Forum Member
Acrylic paints
« on: January 16, 2017, 05:26:21 PM »
I'm having difficulty sourcing paint in reasonable quantities  to paint the scenery for Monkton Priors, Any ideas?
Thanks 
Tim

Offline LankyTank

• G3 Society Member
  • Old enough to know better, but I don't care.....
Re: Acrylic paints
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2017, 05:58:51 PM »
Do you have a Hobbycraft near you? They have a fairly substantial art/painty department. Acrylic paints in large tubes, Windsor & Newton. Sorry can't be more helpful than that.

Good luck
Barry

Offline John Candy

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2017, 06:08:03 PM »
Tim,

Send me a list of the colours required (brand and catalogue number if applicable) and I will source them and send to you along with the signal arms and finials.
The cost will be met from the Monkton Priors fund, so if it turns out to be expensive (small Humbrol/Revel,Tamiya pots) then that need not be a concern.

Regards,
John.
My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

Offline wolfstone

• G3S : Monkton Priors Team
  • Group A Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2017, 08:47:10 PM »
Thanks Barry, off to  Inverness  to find Hobby Craft tomorrow.
Tim 

Offline Peaky 556

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2017, 07:44:02 AM »
Aren't a lot of household decorators paints acrylic based now, i.e. fast drying is their selling point?
This includes gloss as well as the more prevalent "satin" etc.
Mind you, check the tins for durability outdoors.
Tim

Offline John Candy

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2017, 09:49:55 AM »
Regarding use of acrylic paints for Monkton Priors, the scenic (i.e. station area) section will be for indoor/protected outdoor (e.g. marquee) use only, so there should be no problem with "artists" (e.g. Winsor & Newton / Reeves / WH Smith's own brand) acrylics as sold in tubes.

I have had issues with some "artists" (tube) acrylics outdoors...... white lines painted on a platform dissolved in rain (and made a mess of the walling, which then needed to be repainted!), whereas I have had no such problems with "Humbrol" acrylic paints which have not deteriorated after 3 Winters.

John
My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

Offline AllWight

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2017, 02:43:33 PM »
What are you painting?

What surfaces are you painting on?

Acrylics are great paints but not sure you have explained the item that you wish to paint?

Mark