• Welcome to The Forum for Gauge 3 Model Trains.

The Gauge 3 Society       2.1/2 inch Gauge Association       Cookies and privacy HOW TO JOIN: to request forum membership please click here

Gauge 3 Society members must be logged in to view the Society section
  G3 Clubroom

Welcome to the G3 Clubroom. This is the friendly online forum where members share ideas and inspiration, suggestions and advice, modelling tips, pictures and drawings, and general chat about our fine hobby of Gauge 3 railway modelling. A warm welcome, and enjoy your visit here today.

"Horsey" Stuff.

Started by John Candy, Jan 27 2017 09:42

« previous - next »

John Candy

The Monkton Priors GWR stables (3 stalls for housing shunting/road delivery horses) is nearing completion and I still have no horse to tether to the rings!

I have this in mind http://www.farmtoysonline.co.uk/schleich-clydesdale-gelding/p3671

it is a scale 9ft tall (to top of head) and sounds to be correct scale for a Clydesdale, the tallest horse in the World is claimed to be a Clydesdale, in Canada, which is 10 ft tall.
It would be nice to have a pair but cannot find another model draught horse which would match but not be identical.

The straw, feed , etc. came from the Provender Store at Didcot but what happened to the "output" from the stables? Did the GWR cart it away in manure wagons to a specific site or was it sold to "locals" for their fields and gardens?
Anyone tried modelling a heap of horse manure?! 

John.
My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

IanT

Morning John,

I purchased some "Schleich" horses and cattle a few years ago and they are a bit on the large side I'm afraid, which is a pity as they are nice models. I will probably donate them to the Grandchildren eventually.

I noticed that the shop link you give also have a brand called "Papo" (which I don't think I've seen before) which are also claimed to be "approximately" 1/24th - you can see the full range by entering "Papo" in the search box. Some of the horses (and cattle) look usable but how "approximate" the 1/24th scale is - it's hard to say without examination. Toy "scales" are usually somewhat loosely applied.

Regards,

IanT   
Nothing's ever Easy - At least the first time around.

cabbage

Coming from a different part of the world....

In the Derby area horse manure would be shipped to the Loughborough Bell Foundry. In other places it would be mixed with coal dust (slack) and pressed into briquettes. There was the infamous "proof" firing at Messrs Kitsons of Leeds to demonstrate that the locos for the Trans Andean railway really could burn 2 tons of dried llama dung instead of wood or coal.

The only calorific value for llama dung was performed by de Porta while at Rio Turbio.

So the answer is simple. You heat the waiting room with it!!!

Regards

Ralph

John Candy

Well, I didn't know there were so many possible uses for horse dung!
I believe Bedouins burn dried camel dung (or used to...I suspect they now have portable gas stoves or electric generators....and probably have Toyota 4x4s instead of camels)!

Regards,
John.

My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

John Candy

Ian,

Thanks for those observations.
I couldn't find any Papo horses of the right breeds with a suitable pose (the Percheron was straining in "traction mode" rather than at rest and was an awful grey colour) so I took a chance and ordered the Schleich Clydesdale.... plus a cat, goat, sow, rabbit and hare (some Schleich, some Papo)... so Monkton Priors will be well-infested with livestock!
If they don't "look right", the Turner grandchildren will be in line for some additional farm stock!!

Regards,
John.

AllWight

only horse that i know of is the 3 legged one in the derby that i lost money on!!

I have a couple of horses in the blackgang box. One comes with the carringtons coal lorry from GRS and the other is a pure white horse that i s prancing. Sadly beyond that i cannot tell you what is the maufacturer

Mark

MikeWilliams

I don't know about horses, but the Schleck cows are certainly too large.  I bought a Papo something recently (can't remember what) which was OK.  Not cheap, but what about these which go with their 1/24 horse drawn vehicles:
http://hobby.uk.com/mini-mini-horse-3-1-2.html

Mike

Geoff Nicholls

I've stirred it and shovelled it, but I've not tried modelling manure yet. the deliveries we get on the allotment are mostly straw and wood shreddings (a recent addition), The actual horses doovers (as my dad would call them) make up a small  proportion.  They look a bit like that compressed coal (smokeless?) that you could buy, anything between 50 and 100mm usually, sometimes larger.
Geoff.

Geoff Nicholls

I can get you some detailed photos, if you wish. I'm not a huge fan of gimmicks, but a smoke unit under the heap might be quite effective.
PS
that's the Stratford Eurostar depot in the background.
Geoff.

John Candy

Mark,
Is your coal cart horse perhaps the one which Mike has linked to?

Mike,
Yes, it is rather a nicely "fitted out" ensemble but I feel the horse is not "stocky" enough for a shunting (or heavy cart) horse ...and far too "dainty" and rather expensive.
Here is one of the Newmarket yard horses
http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/n/newmarket/newmarke(1960s)old10.jpg

Geoff,
I like the idea of the smoke generator.....I wonder if there is a suitably "smelly" version of the oil!

I was tempted to make the next "Flexikit" a GWR dia. R1 manure wagon (a 20ft WB 5-plank wagon with 3 drop-doors per side) but I see that there was only one left in service by 1935 and that was being used to shift beer casks!

Regards,
John.

John Candy

http://warwickshirerailways.com/gwr/claverdon/gwrc872a.jpg

A GWR wagon of manure being unloaded onto what appears to be a farmer's "tumbril" at an unspecified date.
Wagon type unidentifiable but doesn't look long enough to be a diagram R1 manure wagon : Note the "W"-irons"  are fitted to outside of the solebar, so must be an early wagon. So, would this be a load of manure from the company's (i.e. GWR) own stables being sold for fertiliser or would be it a "common carrier" load for a supplier without its own wagon fleet?

Question is rhetorical, since I shall be surprised if anyone can provide an answer!

John.
P.S. Also interesting is the adjacent wagon, lettered "Exors of...." (i.e.executors) ..... I wonder who the owner could have been?

John Candy

Jimmy (a stocky Clydesdale gelding) stands proudly outside his new home, the GWR stables at Monkton Priors station.

Why is Jimmy turned out so smartly...after all, his normal duties are hauling the GWR local delivery cart and the occasional stint at wagon shunting?

It is the day of the annual Monkton Priors Fair and  he will be taking part in the parade of working horses through the town!

Geoff Nicholls

sorry, if you've posted this before and I've missed it, but could we have some more info on the building?
Geoff.

John Candy

Geoff,

No, you haven't missed any previous details.
The building is (as are all mine) scratchbuilt in resin and based on GWR drawings and photos from "A Pictorial Record of Great Western Architecture" by Adrian Vaughan.

The "Monkton Priors" example is for three horses plus fodder store (the GWR design was flexible and could be for any number of horses, simply by repeating the basic elements to produce a longer building).

John.

P.S. A few close-ups of some of the details.

Geoff Nicholls

very nice, especially the outside tap.
Geoff.