• Welcome to The Forum for Gauge 3 Model Trains.

The Gauge 3 Society       2.1/2 inch Gauge Association       Cookies and privacy HOW TO JOIN: to request forum membership please click here

Gauge 3 Society members must be logged in to view the Society section
  G3 Clubroom

Welcome to the G3 Clubroom. This is the friendly online forum where members share ideas and inspiration, suggestions and advice, modelling tips, pictures and drawings, and general chat about our fine hobby of Gauge 3 railway modelling. A warm welcome, and enjoy your visit here today.

Help with Pointwork

Started by keith Bristol, Dec 20 2009 17:08

« previous - next »

keith Bristol

All

This is a request for Help. i am about to purchase some 12ft point work kits from Cliff Barker, but I have no experience of putting them together. Is there anyone in the the general area of Birmingham to cornwall to edge of london who is experienced at this and has a saturday/sunday free in teh New Year who would be prepared to show get me started if I travelled to them?

Keith Bristol

Moonraker

Keith,

I have made four of these points but I guess that South Australia is a little out of your specifierd area.

The main thing I wanted to mention is that there was a fault with these kits. The plan was correct lengthwise but was too small widthwise; an error appeared to have been made in its enlargement to full size. I stuffed up the first point before I released that the problem was the plan and not me. Cliff may have fixed this by now but you should check.

Peter
Peter Lucas

Andy B

Keith,

Which aspect of the construction is it that you are unsure about - the sequence and positioning of the components or specific techniques for using / bonding Cliff's parts?

There are many articles & web pages covering point construction in other scales, but the sequence is the same.
Let me know if links / copies would be of use.

Andy

keith Bristol

Thanks moonraker, itis this type of information that I am looking to pick up. You are quite correct in that South Australia is little far for a Saturday afternoon jaunt! Thanks for responding and any help is gratefully received.

Andy. Thank you again, generally all of it bonding and sequence etc. If there are any links they would b appreciated.

Andy B

A couple of on-line resources:

1) The instructions for assembling turnouts using C+L components - this is the sequence I would use
and on the same site is a photo sequence showing a 4mm turnout being built.

2) Something nearer 'our' scale - Gauge 1 turnout construction. It doesn't have a specific URL, so go to this site, then click on 'Workshop Activities', then 'Making a point !'
I would not fit the point rail before the crossing vee as shown in this sequence - getting good alignment through the crossing is the key to smooth running.

Andy

Andy B

Correction - should have said
I would not fit the diverging stock rail before the crossing vee as shown in this sequence.

There is simple diagram showing the various components also on the C+L website

Andy B

This link was recently posted on the Templot forum - it shows / discusses a G1 turnout being constructed using Cliff Barker's components - hope it might be useful to readers here too!
http://scalerail.phpbbhosts.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=485

Andy

John Witts

Keith

If you are still unsure of what to do give me a call.

John Witts
Number on Membership. list

John