• Welcome to The Forum for Gauge 3 Model Trains.

The Gauge 3 Society       2.1/2 inch Gauge Association       Cookies and privacy HOW TO JOIN: to request forum membership please click here

Gauge 3 Society members must be logged in to view the Society section
  G3 Clubroom

Welcome to the G3 Clubroom. This is the friendly online forum where members share ideas and inspiration, suggestions and advice, modelling tips, pictures and drawings, and general chat about our fine hobby of Gauge 3 railway modelling. A warm welcome, and enjoy your visit here today.

Capacitors / diodes or not?

Started by John Candy, Mar 29 2017 12:03

« previous - next »

John Candy

Building the Monkton Priors control panel involves a digital controller to directly feed signals to the servos operating the turnouts and signals and the "box" for that is protected in itself against overloads/surges.
For the illuminated track diagram panel the LEDs are to be fed at a regulated 5V (from a 12V battery supply) and there are miniature relays (with 5V coils - Axicom type IM23TS) involved in the LED circuits.  Relay specs. state "High surge capability (1.2/50 ?s and 10 / 700 ?s) meets Telcordia GR 1089, FCC Part 68 and ITU-T K20,21,45.
• 1500V between open contacts and 2500V between coil and contacts"

The LEDs themselves are rated at 12V but will be fed with just 5V (via the relays), so would you fit capacitors to the circuits to protect against arcing/flash loads? Would you fit diodes to protect against reverse current? Would this be a bit too "belt and braces"....I want to keep as simple as possible?

John.
My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

cabbage

The answer is no capacitors and no diodes.

Regards

Ralph

John Candy

My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

Gavin_B