• Welcome to The Forum for Gauge 3 Model Trains.

The Gauge 3 Society       2.1/2 inch Gauge Association       Cookies and privacy HOW TO JOIN: to request forum membership please click here

Gauge 3 Society members must be logged in to view the Society section
  G3 Clubroom

Welcome to the G3 Clubroom. This is the friendly online forum where members share ideas and inspiration, suggestions and advice, modelling tips, pictures and drawings, and general chat about our fine hobby of Gauge 3 railway modelling. A warm welcome, and enjoy your visit here today.

Painting G3, our size, models

Started by Jon Nazareth, Apr 08 2017 18:01

« previous - next »

Jon Nazareth

I've just been reading Ian Rathbone's book on painting and I am wondering if my Iwata is going to be man enough for the job or maybe yes but with a bigger paint reservoir.  I have painted all of my wagons with a rattle can but the next project, a horse box, will need a colour not found in a rattle can  :).  How have other members managed?

Jon

cabbage

I use the mixing centre at B+Q. I have yet to find a PAINT that is not there. However the system cannot produce LAKEs, so brown lake or crimson lake are not available. (sigh).

Regards

Ralph

Jon Nazareth

Ralph

That would sort out the colours but how do you apply it, brush or spray?  If spray, what pressures are you using measured at the nozzle?  I know that this would not apply to all equipment but it would be a help to get me going.

Jon

Jon Nazareth

A slightly different question here.  Does anyone think that 14ml of thinned paint would cover a horsebox?  Before I go for it, I'm trying to sort out paint quantity which would determine which sort of air brush I would use as they have different sized cups.  The smaller cup fits on the side of one of the air brushes but the large container fits underneath it's air brush.  The mahogany that I have is of the earlier 'Cherry' variety and I don't want to waste any by mixing too much paint.

Jon

cabbage

I always use a brush! I was never brought up on air systems and I have only used them a couple of times.

Regards

Ralph

John Candy

Hi Jon,

Assuming it is a dark shade over a lightish primer, you should have plenty for two or perhaps three light coats.
If a light shade over a dark undercoat, you may need more coats.
I usually charge the reservoir on my 25 litre air tank to around 40 psi.

Regards,
John.
My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

Jon Nazareth

John
Thank you for that. 
It will be Mahogany over red oxide now.  I'm interested in your spraying pressure.  When you say 40psi at the tank what is the pressure at the nozzle of your spray gun/airbrush and at what ratio do you thin your paints, assuming they are enamels?

Jon

John Candy

Jon,

The nozzle pressure is same as the tank output (I never exceed 45psi and once it drops below 38psi, I recharge the tank (one charge of a 25L tank will easily coat a loco.).

Thinning is difficult : It depends upon the consistency of the original : Some I find to be quite thick and others very thin.

If it is fairly "runny", I would start with around 10%  thinners and do a test spray, adding in 5% steps.
Rarely do I need to exceed around 30%.

Regards,
John.
My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

Jon Nazareth

Thank you, John, you've been very helpful.  One last question though, what spray gun/air brush do you have?

Jon

John Candy

It's a Badger which I have had for at least 30 years!
I think, from memory, the model is "200", which has both a paint jar and a small external paint reservoir.
John.

MikeWilliams

I have a DeVilbis which I have never used and would be happy to find it a good home.  Maybe somebody would care to comment on these?

Mike

Andy B

Mike,

Devilbiss are / were a well respected brand too - they used to be sold under the 'Aerograph' name, with models such as the Sprite (my dad has one of these) and Super 63.
Which model have you?

The key thing for G3 is the size of the paint cup - even for a 4w van, the typical paint cups (around 5-10 c.c.) are simply too small. I bought a secondhand Aerograph 63 (which has a bigger cup than the Sprite), but still got frustrated with the need to top-up half-way round a wagon!

The Badger 200 (mentioned by John C), and the Aerograph Sprite Major both have the ability to use decent sized bottles - and will be on my shopping list when I get back to painting again.

Andy

Jon Nazareth

This is the kit that I have and the set up on the left is the one that I have used in the past.  The set up on the right, I've yet to try as it has a different air/paint control button but a huge paint reservoir.

Jon

MikeWilliams

Sorry Andy - my mistake.  Its a Badger B200/3 that I have.  Looks like Jon has all the right equipment anyway.

Mike

Jon Nazareth

Mike
I just have to learn how to use it now, that's all   ::)

Jon