• Welcome to The Forum for Gauge 3 Model Trains.

The Gauge 3 Society       2.1/2 inch Gauge Association       Cookies and privacy HOW TO JOIN: to request forum membership please click here

Gauge 3 Society members must be logged in to view the Society section
  G3 Clubroom

Welcome to the G3 Clubroom. This is the friendly online forum where members share ideas and inspiration, suggestions and advice, modelling tips, pictures and drawings, and general chat about our fine hobby of Gauge 3 railway modelling. A warm welcome, and enjoy your visit here today.

Painting G3, our size, models

Started by Jon Nazareth, Apr 08 2017 18:01

« previous - next »

Peaky 556

Here's a linked question to using airbrushes; to get the correct shades does one need to buy the £incredible Phoenix paints plus thinner, or is there a more readily available source of 'matched' paint that could be sprayed, such as through Ralph's B&Q Route?
I'm considering if Father Xmas might buy me my first ever airbrush, you see...
Thanks, Tim

John Candy

I have three airbrushes which I used for many years, with a 1.5 HP compressor and 25 litre air tank (it gets very expensive if you buy the propellant cans) but more recently have switched to using ready mixed aerosol car paints.

It is much quicker (the paints dry in minutes, instead of hours) with better coverage and there is no cleaning of equipment.

There will be occasions when I revert to Precision/Phoenix paints (or even Humbrol acrylic railway colours) for shades which may not be easily obtainable in aerosol cans. Usually, if you can get the BS381C code for the required colour,  it can be ordered from "The Car Paint Co. Ltd." (it is where the cans of GWR colours come from via GRS and have the BS numbers under the GRS labelling).

John.
My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

hornbeam

I have used halford paints for years. With wagons I tend to spay the primer on and if the chassis is black, spray that as well. I then use Railmatch and hand brush the body work. I know that will shock some people but I enjoy doing it.

This link may also be of help:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/55966-raf-kinloss-mrc-halfords-paint-list-2012-version/

Peaky 556

Simon, that link to RM Web was interesting, but of course lots of conflicting opinions!  Wouldn't it be boring if we all thought the same!  One interesting comment was that Halfords superstores can mix up paint to your own shade, then stick it in an aerosol.  That seems worth following up..., so I haven't jumped for an airbrush yet.

John, there are a lot of positive comments about the Halfords aerosol can qualities (reliable, non spattering, sprays consistently to the last drop etc) and some less than flattering ones about Railmatch and others aerosols.  So in your experience, how do the "Car Paint Co Ltd" ones stack up?

Regards, Tim

Geoff Nicholls

for years I'd been buying various brands of primer from local car parts shops. Then I happened to see a Halfords and bought one of their cans. The difference was amazing, it sprays so much easier and covers so much better than I was used to.
Geoff.

John Candy

Tim,

I normally use Halfords primers, except on brass locos, etc. when I use Tetrosyl self-etch spray can primer (expensive but v.good and can be over-sprayed with colour coat in 45 minutes) and on steel I use Halfords Zinc primer.
I used the Car Paint Co. cans to spray both my GWR Dean Goods (recent photos on forum) and the 1361 Class saddle tank (photos a few years back now). Coverage was excellent with no runs or spluttering and it dries very quickly.

John.
My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

AllWight

Hi All

I use the Halfords Acid 8 etch grey primer on all metal kits regardless of scale 00 up to G3 and it is superb.
I also use the Halfords range of "plastic primers" for a secondary primer coat which also has a built in filler quality which can help to disguise blemishes in the surfaces of what you are spraying. They come in 3 colours, red, grey and white.

I have recently been spraying signals and other items in the smaller scales and the white primer followed by the white appliance gloss gives a superb finish on signal posts and GWR coach roofs. I also used the red plastic primer on my 0-16.5 double fairlie prior to the top coat being applied.

Halfords black is very consistent for all purposes be it matt, satin or gloss.

One other area worth investigating for brush painting using acrylic paints is the war gaming paints available in spray and pots and easy to use. Also their ranges of varnishes are superb and you get more for your money than the railmatch equivalent.

Mark   

Peaky 556

Quote from: AllWight on Oct 23 2017 10:08
Hi All

One other area worth investigating for brush painting using acrylic paints is the war gaming paints available in spray and pots and easy to use. Also their ranges of varnishes are superb and you get more for your money than the railmatch equivalent.

Mark

Ah yes Mark, maybe "Orc Snot Green" is good for some SR stuff!  ;)
Thanks for the tributes on Halfords sprays, seems to be universally thought of as excellent.
Best regards, Tim

AllWight

Hi Tim

Orc snot green hmm is that an Orc from Isengard or Mordor?

I will have to re read the lord of the rings now and the Hobbit

Mark