• Welcome to The Forum for Gauge 3 Model Trains.

The Gauge 3 Society       2.1/2 inch Gauge Association       Cookies and privacy HOW TO JOIN: to request forum membership please click here

Gauge 3 Society members must be logged in to view the Society section
  G3 Clubroom

Welcome to the G3 Clubroom. This is the friendly online forum where members share ideas and inspiration, suggestions and advice, modelling tips, pictures and drawings, and general chat about our fine hobby of Gauge 3 railway modelling. A warm welcome, and enjoy your visit here today.

New 08 shunter

Started by Gavin_B, Apr 13 2017 21:15

« previous - next »

Gavin_B

Bachmann have just announced a new model in their Thomas range

http://resources.bachmanntrains.com/bachmann2017/

Page 225

a diesel 08 shunter only one pic so far

Gavin_B

Pic

unklian

It will be a miracle if it is anything like the right size for G3  ;)

IanT

Not an 08 I'm afraid but in terms of a usable "toy" (for re-gauging) - someone has suggested (on another forum) that this is a very solid little (45mm) battery powered engine, that comes complete with an excellent 2.4Ghz R/C control and a nice (small) handheld controller.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Playmobil-5258-Action-Control-Freight/dp/B0077QSSTU

At about £100 - it seems very reasonably priced - especially as the track seems to be popular elsewhere and could probably be flogged on eBay to lower the overall cost a bit...

My thoughts were more to simply re-gauge the stock and use it 'as is'. A certain young man I know likes both Playmobile and "Trains" but is still a bit heavy handed at the moment (he's 3 years old) - so isn't allowed to play with Grandads toys (at least just yet).  So I'm thinking about it but if anyone already has access to one it would be good to know if here are any practical barriers to re-gauging...?

I'm sure it could also be the basis of something a bit more prototypical with some thought. A battery powered chassis with small 2.4Ghz R/C controller for this money sounds like a good G3 entry point engine to me?   

Regards,

IanT
Nothing's ever Easy - At least the first time around.

AshleyW

regarding thomas range, whilst the open wagons were really suited to gauge 3, the brake van was no where near big enough. also on recent discovery of their new 12ton vans i enquired about height to find they too are only 140mm high and i guess adding bits to the bottom will spoil the ribbed ends. so i deduce that the 08 shunter will most likley be too low also.

John Candy

QuoteI'm sure it could also be the basis of something a bit more prototypical with some thought.

Ian,

A Rolls-Royce Sentinel comes to mind such as http://www.panoramio.com/photo/126215894#

I am not suggesting we should "do" another Sentinel loco....one (or two) was enough!

Regards,

John.
My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

IanT

Found this which seems to compare an older Playmobil product with this new one. It also gives some useful views of the toy being assembled and running. Not exactly scale but it looks to be very solidly made, which is what I'd expect from Playmobil. We already have a Castle (complete with Dragon) and a large population that could do with a convenient transport system. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhErH0G2BBY

Have to think about it - worst case I suppose is that Grandson gets a new narrow gauge train set to play with when he comes to visit - but then we've just invested in his favourite 'Paw Patrol' vehicles (which aren't that inexpensive!) so it starts to mount up...but at least I know Grandma wouldn't object...

:-)

Regards,

IanT
Nothing's ever Easy - At least the first time around.

Sleeper Agent

Well as mentioned it's not likely to be too suitable for G3 purposes but the once cancelled project is nearing production if anyone interested hasn't seen.
https://twitter.com/bachmanntrains/status/1283470215939072000
https://twitter.com/Ryatron12/status/1288238822031949825

John Candy

Not that it would be of any interest to me BUT if you removed the face (and replaced with a 3D printed or cast resin rad grille), fitted new (brass?) ladders, larger wheels on a built-out (to correct gauge) chassis and (subject to what is inside the cab space) opened up the "blanked-out" windows, you could have a half-decent loco.

Whether it would be practical to make the adaption would depend upon the width of the body casting (whether truly to G-scale) and whether cost-effective would depend upon the initial price!

John.
My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

AshleyW

i have contacted bachmann to ask if it's the main axle that goes through to the fly cranks and how the wheels fix to the axle and for photo of underside- even asked if they'd consider a 63.5mm version !!! i'm sure we'll see a lot of these on g3 tracks and hopefully may provide a source of new membership should it be convertable. the percy i had was the only loco that would negociate my tight circuit, so i'll be keeping a watchfull eye on this loco.

keith Bristol

Hi

I have had converted all existing models and all converted very well.. I won't be converting one to an 08 as I may have 1 +...and an 09 and a 13 .. only an EWS To add as a livery ... but I will be adding one...
K

MikeWilliams

Having converted only one of their wagons to Gauge 3, I wouldn't be surprised if beneath that face is a full radiator grill.  Strange to have filled in the cab windows and wonder if the production version will be the same.

Mike

Sleeper Agent

Behind the face would be the moving eye mech which connects up to the motor unit, so no hidden grill but both should be straight forward to remove if desired. I imagine as with the other Thomas diesels in HO the cab windows will remain opaque thanks to the usual lack of interior detail (was surprised by how much void space there is where Percy's backhead should be).
Really I think this isn't gonna be suited for a rivet counter by a serious margin but could still be a nifty conversion for a little un if you've not got 45mm gauge metals or just want to run an 08 in the background. No doubt the tooling is going to be typically anorexic but it'll be interesting to see how tall he is compared to the prototype.

John Candy

QuoteStrange to have filled in the cab windows and wonder if the production version will be the same.

I know why : The cab contains a treadmill with a hamster for motive power!  :o

John.

keith Bristol

Marston Models has a radiator grill in their selection to print, it will need resizing but it's drawn