Author Topic: New 08 shunter  (Read 1029 times)

Offline Gavin_B

• G3 Society Member (& Trade Supplier)
New 08 shunter
« on: April 13, 2017, 09:15:21 PM »
Bachmann have just announced a new model in their Thomas range

http://resources.bachmanntrains.com/bachmann2017/

Page 225

a diesel 08 shunter only one pic so far

Offline Gavin_B

• G3 Society Member (& Trade Supplier)
Re: New 08 shunter
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2017, 09:19:00 PM »
Pic

Offline unklian

• G3 Society Member
  • Group A Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2017, 10:50:15 PM »

It will be a miracle if it is anything like the right size for G3  ;)

Offline IanT

• Workshop Practice Adviser
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2017, 10:17:43 AM »
Not an 08 I'm afraid but in terms of a usable "toy" (for re-gauging) - someone has suggested (on another forum) that this is a very solid little (45mm) battery powered engine, that comes complete with an excellent 2.4Ghz R/C control and a nice (small) handheld controller.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Playmobil-5258-Action-Control-Freight/dp/B0077QSSTU

At about £100 - it seems very reasonably priced - especially as the track seems to be popular elsewhere and could probably be flogged on eBay to lower the overall cost a bit...

My thoughts were more to simply re-gauge the stock and use it 'as is'. A certain young man I know likes both Playmobile and "Trains" but is still a bit heavy handed at the moment (he's 3 years old) - so isn't allowed to play with Grandads toys (at least just yet).  So I'm thinking about it but if anyone already has access to one it would be good to know if here are any practical barriers to re-gauging...?

I'm sure it could also be the basis of something a bit more prototypical with some thought. A battery powered chassis with small 2.4Ghz R/C controller for this money sounds like a good G3 entry point engine to me?   

Regards,

IanT
Nothing's ever Easy - At least the first time around.

Offline AshleyW

• G3 Society Member
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2017, 10:22:26 AM »
regarding thomas range, whilst the open wagons were really suited to gauge 3, the brake van was no where near big enough. also on recent discovery of their new 12ton vans i enquired about height to find they too are only 140mm high and i guess adding bits to the bottom will spoil the ribbed ends. so i deduce that the 08 shunter will most likley be too low also.

Offline John Candy

• G3 Forum Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2017, 10:51:22 AM »
I'm sure it could also be the basis of something a bit more prototypical with some thought.

Ian,

A Rolls-Royce Sentinel comes to mind such as http://www.panoramio.com/photo/126215894#

I am not suggesting we should "do" another Sentinel loco....one (or two) was enough!

Regards,

John.
My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

Offline IanT

• Workshop Practice Adviser
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2017, 11:25:53 AM »
Found this which seems to compare an older Playmobil product with this new one. It also gives some useful views of the toy being assembled and running. Not exactly scale but it looks to be very solidly made, which is what I'd expect from Playmobil. We already have a Castle (complete with Dragon) and a large population that could do with a convenient transport system. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhErH0G2BBY

Have to think about it - worst case I suppose is that Grandson gets a new narrow gauge train set to play with when he comes to visit - but then we've just invested in his favourite 'Paw Patrol' vehicles (which aren't that inexpensive!) so it starts to mount up...but at least I know Grandma wouldn't object...

:-)

Regards,

IanT
Nothing's ever Easy - At least the first time around.