• Welcome to The Forum for Gauge 3 Model Trains.

The Gauge 3 Society       2.1/2 inch Gauge Association       Cookies and privacy HOW TO JOIN: to request forum membership please click here

Gauge 3 Society members must be logged in to view the Society section
  G3 Clubroom

Welcome to the G3 Clubroom. This is the friendly online forum where members share ideas and inspiration, suggestions and advice, modelling tips, pictures and drawings, and general chat about our fine hobby of Gauge 3 railway modelling. A warm welcome, and enjoy your visit here today.

Rolling Roads

Started by MikeWilliams, May 17 2017 21:25

« previous - next »

MikeWilliams

I think its about time I invested in a rolling road, but which do people use and recommend?

MEL have them at £99.06 plus VAT per set of parts for three driven axles.

This one on e-bay looks equally good, assembled and cheaper at just £42 for three axles including VAT and delivery, though it does look like it needs a base or length of track to fix it to.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GAUGE-3-65mm-ROLLING-ROAD-CRADLE-UNITS-NEW-ADDITION-TO-OUR-ROLLING-ROAD-RANGE-/112077848543?var=&hash=item1a185c3fdf:m:mBfQtS6a9xYaTB3vKUmj6wQ

Any suggestions?

Mike

Geoff Nicholls

I got mine from metalsmith, three driving axles, about £63
Geoff.

IanT

The 'DTS' ones you've found on eBay look pretty good Mike and the price seems reasonable.

(Thinking out loud)  If I went the MEL route - I would probably only buy part of the RR components (assuming Malcolm was agreeable). I already have the fixings (washers, nuts & bolts) in stock. I also already have the MEL engine stand, which uses the same aluminium base extrusions (and they are longer than I need/want). So I could probably shorten these and have sufficient left over to mount the bearing supports, with some kind of support plinth (in 9mm ply - already got that too) for any required bogie/rear axle support built on. Obviously, I've got the rail sections for that too. So I think I might only need the MEL laser cut support bracket parts (£16.80 inc. VAT) plus the bearings (ARC Eurotrade - 5mm bore bearings are £1.80 inc. VAT) - so maybe I could get it down to about £38.40 (plus postage). Plus a degree of hassle of course...but this could be the cheapest option for me.

However, the DTS ones do look good enough and presumably would just sit on a length of my test track straight out the box (for any 0-6-0 or 0-4-0 engines). Total cost £48.00 inc. postage (I think...). I'd still have to make some bogie/pony/trailing-axle supports for my Atlantic/Pacific engines but that doesn't sound too hard to do. So a bit easier maybe but another £10...

The MetalSmiths products are now handled by MRC I believe and their RR product looks very similar in use to the eBay ones but they are £15 more than the eBay ones....

So (on balance) I suspect the eBay ones may be the best price/least hassle combination...   :-)

Please let us know what you decide to do and how you get on....

Regards,

IanT
Nothing's ever Easy - At least the first time around.

MikeWilliams

Thanks chaps,

I decided to check a couple of things with the e-bay seller because he describes them as "Gauge 3", "65mm" and elsewhere in the listing "45mm" and "00".  I suspect these are a hang over from his listing of other RRs in other scales, but I sent a note to just check.  No reply yet after 3 days.

Thanks also for the suggestion of Robin Saxton.  I've sent him a note too checking he still does them, especially as he is "one of us" so worth supporting.

Mike

IanT

Mike,

Some time ago, there was a G3 rolling road advertised in the Newsletter but I couldn't recall the details. I looked it up yesterday and found they were called "Hogg Hill Works"

I then did a bit of 'Googleing' and (unfortunately) discovered that the original owner had passed away not too long afterwards but that his products had been acquired by another supplier (Loco-Boxes). They seem to still be available from them at £14/axle, so could be worth a look.

http://www.loco-boxes.co.uk/rolling-roads

Regards,

IanT

AshleyW

if you can get them to answer email or phone!! there was another firm doing some on ebay too,they often have 3.5" and 5" try them

John Candy

I know Chris Moody of Loco-boxes (he lives not far from here)and he came here a couple of years ago with a box of the various different gauges of rolling road he had just acquired from Hog Hill and borrowed my GWR 1361 saddle tank to use for his G3 rolling road display at The National Garden Railway Show (Peterborough)  He was at Peterborough again this year with his stand.

I already had a set of the GRS type so had no use for more.

His loco boxes are superbly made and I am sure his rolling roads will reflect that same quality.

John.

My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

MikeWilliams

I was asked for an update, so here it is:

The e-bay seller never answered my questions seeking confirmation of the gauge, since his advert mentioned 63.5mm, 65mm and 45mm.  So, I looked at the website for Locoboxes which looked excellent but gave a list of exhibitions they intended to be at in 2015, so I sent an e-mail to confirm they were in business.  He replied that they were so I asked for a price for 4 x Gauge 3 gauges including postage, but never received a reply in spite of a polite reminder.

So, I went back to e-bay and bought them anyway.  The company is Direct Train Spares and four cost just £48.  They were delivered very quickly.

The Locoboxes items have aluminium angle sides which look to be quite thin and facing outwards so they can be fixed to a board.  Those from DTS have thick sides facing inwards and joined by a plastic strip.  They are screwed together and the screws holding the base on are too long (I thought), so you can't put it down flat onto a board.  The gauge actually measured 62mm which was also a worry.  However, I soon realised that the plastic base has slotted holes so the gauge can be set correctly and if you do that the protruding ends of the screws underneath sits nicely between rails on a length of track.

I like them very much – poor communication but very good product!

Mike

IanT

Qty 4 for £48 Mike? (e.g. £12 each?) - as eBay gives them as £16 each (inc. postage)... which still seems good value (but £12 seems better somehow...)

:-)

Regards,

IanT

MikeWilliams

You are quite right Ian - £64.  Apologies.  Still good value.

Mike

IanT

No problem Mike - I only need three, as I'm not planning any X-8-X steam engines --- although ----- I do have a have a Bo-Bo electric in the works - so maybe I do (need four of 'em that is)....mmmn

Anyway - thanks for the feedback.

Regards,

IanT

John Candy

Perhaps a "Rolling Road" comparison submission for Gauge3.info (in format of content of g3madesimple.org.uk) will be appropriate?

Assessment of perceived "strengths and weaknesses" of each type, together with dimensions and wheel standards (one make has an "axle" which could possibly interfere with overscale flanges, while the spacing of the "centres" can limit the acceptable wheel diameters.......e.g. particularly small diameter wheels could drop through a widely spaced example).

I have the GRS version (which sounds to be very similar in format to Mike's acquisition); does anyone have a Hog Hill example?

Are there any other brands available?

John.
My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.