Author Topic: Geoff's Compact Exhibition Layout  (Read 1179 times)

Offline Geoff Nicholls

• G3 Society Member
Geoff's Compact Exhibition Layout
« on: July 13, 2017, 11:27:35 AM »
This is a new thread for posting progress on my exhibition layout, also known as Aldeburgh Wharf. It has been seen on this and other Forums, and the G3 soc newsletter.  I've given the thread the name Geoff's Layout because it is a generic layout that may appear as Aldeburgh Wharf 1905, or 1855, or Nene Wharf 1855 (ECR and LNWR) or even as Brentford Ferry 1961, be changing the buildings and rolling stock. I frequently wander away from my chief interest - GER in East Anglia. I started building this layout in 2014, it was always intended to be an exhibition layout, but progress slowed with a period of 'writers block' during which I built and exhibited Lea Siding.
Enthused by the success of exhibiting Lea Siding,  I've returned to the main layout, rebuilding it to make it more compact and more interesting to operate. The first task was to enable me to fold the scenic section into a cube small enough to fit in the back of a car. 
Geoff.

Offline Geoff Nicholls

• G3 Society Member
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2017, 11:37:36 AM »
The small scenic quayside section will fit in, attached to the backscene. The box created is 122cm by 65cm by 55cm and weighs 32Kg. My partner and I were able to carry it reasonably easily.  It is held together with 6mm bolts and wing nuts. There will be three fiddle yard boards, each 60cm by 90cm, giving a fiddle yard length 0f 180cm.
From my experience with Lea Siding I'm pretty confident this will fit in a car with the back seat down.
Geoff.

Offline Geoff Nicholls

• G3 Society Member
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2017, 11:56:59 AM »
it takes less than a minute to undo the bolts and fit the boards together. I'm now improving the legs and working out how to suspend an LED lighting strip over the front. I will be entering this layout for the MRJ Cameo competition. I don't think it will get very far, as it breaks several of the Cameo design rules, but it hopefully will be good publicity for Gauge 3.
Geoff.

Offline IanT

• Workshop Practice Adviser
Re: Geoff's Compact Exhibition Layout
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2017, 12:58:27 PM »
No "Like" button Geoff I'm afraid, so this will have to do instead....

:)

IanT
Nothing's ever Easy - At least the first time around.

Offline MikeWilliams

• G3 Forum Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2017, 09:03:07 PM »
No "Like" button Geoff I'm afraid, so this will have to do instead....

Me too!  As you say, I can't see the authorities allowing a G3 railway to win, but the publicity will do no harm at all.

Mike

Offline Geoff Nicholls

• G3 Society Member
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2017, 05:39:53 PM »

Really just using the new upload facility to show off what I hope will be the star of the 1850's version of the layout, an Eastern Counties Gooch Class A 2-2-2WT
Geoff.

Offline IanT

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2017, 07:57:35 PM »
Excellent Work Geoff - and well done John, the new images are really good (and easy) to view.

Regards,

IanT

Offline Geoff Nicholls

• G3 Society Member
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2017, 08:09:16 PM »
The layout is back on its feet again. The sticking out quayside has been reduced to 35cm, and a hole has been cut to allow the line to be extended to a second fiddle yard or another scene such as Lea siding.
I'm awaiting delivery of a baseboard module to increase the fiddle yard width to 90cm. This will mean the cassette holding the passenger train can be parked at the back out of the way, while shunting takes place etc.
The poor quality of the photos is entirely due to me and my phone.
The buildings will all be low relief, I'm hoping they'll all fit in the gaps between the frames of the upturned board modules, to save space.
My aspiration is that the version of the layout to be entered for the Cameo competition will be Peterborough Nene Wharf c1850 to 1855, but I think there will be a shortage of stock, so if anyone fancies building something from that period, you would be welcome to bring it along and run it when the layout gets its outings. It doesn't have to be ECR or LNWR. Unfortunately the offer doesn't stretch to broad gauge.

Geoff.

Offline IanT

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2017, 11:16:23 PM »
Very good Geoff - just need to knock a hole in the wall and run into the next-door room now.   :-)

What height is the layout?

Regards,

IanT

Offline Geoff Nicholls

• G3 Society Member
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2017, 11:48:36 PM »
I spent a long time trying to decide on the board height, as I'm quite short, at 162cm. Many layouts of this type are 120cm or higher, but I think it was John Candy that urged making the layout accessible to children and wheelchair users.  I chose 1 metre, plus an extra bit when I decided to add adjustable feet. So, rail height is 104cm, when I watch the layout sitting in a chair, my eyes are a couple of cm above those of the people on the layout. It is also comfortable when leaning into the layout coupling stock, or working the fiddle yard. For me, at least.
I will be fitting a strip of LED lights across the front. They will be 155 - 160cm above the ground.
Other much taller operators seemed to cope with these heights on Lea Siding. Or at least no one complained...
Geoff.

Offline IanT

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2017, 10:18:04 AM »
Good choice Geoff. You also make a good point about children and wheelchair users.  I've seen chairs being dragged up to G3 layouts at shows so young lads can see what's going on. Not very safe and not audience friendly either...

Whatever anyone's views are on modularity and inter-connectivity - the single most important metric (to allow some form of layout 'link-up' ) is clearly the track height above floor. If we could just get this one thing accepted as the 'norm' then it would help going forward. One metre (plus or minus 25mm) is what Spur II use and seems to work for them and there are already several existing G3 layouts built to work at this height.

Regards,

IanT

Offline Andy B

• G3 Venturer
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2017, 11:22:43 AM »
I've seen chairs being dragged up to G3 layouts at shows so young lads can see what's going on. Not very safe and not audience friendly either...

Ahem....
It's not just young lads who need chairs to see layouts, and it is not just confined to G3!
Took my not-quite-4-y-o daughter to the Gauge O Guild show at Telford last year - she wanted to see everything and yes, we had to drag a chair around with us.

Andy

Offline IanT

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2017, 12:29:44 PM »
Sorry Andy - these days I probably shouldn't be so gender specific.

I'm sure my 'non-PC' thinking will adjust over time. My Grandson now has a new baby sister - who hopefully will also insist that Grandad takes her to see the trains. Her big brother (3 years old) is particularly happy when the drivers wave back to him.

And of course - 'Dolls' Houses (in 1/24th scale) can always be built with other applications in mind by doting (but devious) seniors!   :-)

Regards,

IanT

Offline cabbage

• G3 Society Member
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2017, 07:22:17 PM »
We used a plastic beer crate!

regards

ralph

Offline MikeWilliams

• G3 Forum Moderator
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2017, 08:50:38 PM »
My Dad's model of Aylesbury was fixed into the house loft.  Having to be above the collars of the roof meant rail level happened to be 4ft 8.5in above floor which was perfect for adults, but I agree not good for children, who were not encouraged anyway.  How times have changed!

Mike