Author Topic: Geoff's Compact Exhibition Layout  (Read 1184 times)

Offline Geoff Nicholls

• G3 Society Member
Re: Geoff's Compact Exhibition Layout
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2017, 10:01:35 PM »
Actually my decision was not entirely altruistic,  I personally could just about cope operating with a 48" rail height, but nothing higher. My own modelling hobbyhorse is modelling the insides of open wagons, but  they would be invisible to me at 4' 8".
The next decision is the height of the LED striplighting.  I need it to be a foot in front of the main layout to illuminate the sticking out part of the quay. This means the operator has to lean in under it to couple up wagons.
My current thinking is it needs to be 63" to 66" above the ground, but I'm not sure how to support it  using a method that can be packed away in a car.
Geoff.

Offline IanT

• Workshop Practice Adviser
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2017, 11:32:15 PM »
Not four foot, eight inches Geoff - but four foot, eight and a half inches.

I suspect the extra half inch wasn't there by accident!   :-)

Regards,

IanT

Nothing's ever Easy - At least the first time around.

Offline IanT

« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2017, 03:39:23 PM »
Well MRJ are clearly looking forward to seeing your layout Geoff!

"We have been delighted - nay o'erwhelmed - by the number and variety of the models proposed and the originality of many of the concepts, which cover scales from 2mmFS to Gauge 3!"

Not often G3 gets even a mention in MRJ - so all you need to do now is win the Cameo Competiton and get G3 tons of free publicity!

(No pressure then!)   :-)

Regards,

IanT

Offline MikeWilliams

• G3 Forum Moderator
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2017, 09:31:45 PM »
Congratulations Geoff on a nice piece in the latest BRM.  Nice photo too .... of you.

It looks even better in real life as the camera angle shows up the low relief buildings which are not apparent from the restricted viewing points.  Having said that, in the magazine it does look VERY good indeed!

Mike

Offline Geoff Nicholls

• G3 Society Member
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2017, 04:45:33 PM »
I think BRM have done me proud with the article, taking out highlighted sections was their idea, and worked very well.  Shame there wasn't a reference to gauge 3 on the cover, though.
I'm adding some more building detail, and a GWR wagon, for the Swindon show in September.
Geoff.

Offline IanT

« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2017, 08:20:29 PM »
Yes, a very good article in BRM Geoff - it finally showed up at our WH Smiths on Friday...

Well done (again!)

Regards,

IanT

Offline Geoff Nicholls

• G3 Society Member
Geoff's Compact Exhibition Layout
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2017, 04:46:55 PM »

I think I've finished all the difficult woodwork on the layout. I tried having the lighting set at an angle, but it was technically too difficult. I even considered abandoning the sticking out bit of quayside giving a slimmer 60cm deep layout, which would had made the job of building the proscenium arch for the lighting very easy. While pondering what to do, I started chatting with an expert on the river Nene, and committed myself to including a Fenland Lighter at the wharf. 
This meant the lighting strip had to be at least 15cm in front of the wharf, I thought I may as well go the whole hog and make it 35cm. You can see the result (despite the poor focus) The low relief building at the left hand side will be a bit bigger than originally planned.  The extra boards are bolted on and shouldn't take up any more space when transporting the layout. It does give the layout more depth, which I like.
Unfortunately I made a mistake with the LED light strip. I ordered 'Pure' white. When I tried it out it was too white, an almost ghostly nighttime feel. I've ordered 'Natural White' to replace it.   
The lower edge of the lighting pelmet is 4 foot 11 inches above the floor. I can duck under this to uncouple wagons, but taller operators may prefer to operate from the rear, using a stool.
At present I'm not planning to fill the front space with a sheet of 'water'. Partly because it makes shunting difficult and partly because I don't know whether to make any boats waterline models or give them complete hulls.  If the latter, I'll need to build some sort of frame to hold them in the right place. There is actually just enough space to fit a Thames sailing barge in the front...
Geoff.