Author Topic: G3 Wiki on Gauge3.info : Update on Progress.  (Read 2100 times)

Offline John Candy

• G3 Forum Administrator
G3 Wiki on Gauge3.info : Update on Progress.
« on: July 18, 2017, 11:04:19 pm »
The G3 Wiki is currently only accessible to those engaged in the addition of content and the editing of this new site. A substantial amount of material covering all aspects of construction of a G3 layout is already in place and more is being added daily.

It is a monumental task and as soon as the initial phase has been completed and checked it will be released.

There is still some way to go, both in adding content and configuring the extremely complex variables in the software which secures the site.

Watch this board for further announcements.

Regards,
The G3 Wiki Team
My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

Offline John Candy

• G3 Forum Administrator
Re: G3 Wiki on Gauge3.info : Update on Progress.
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2018, 10:12:46 pm »

After several months of compilation and editing, the new Gauge 3 "Wiki" will soon be unveiled!

It has been a joint effort with "cabbage" and "Peaky 556" and is in part an implementation of a Gauge 3 "Handbook" which was compiled seven years ago but never adopted by the G3S.

It is not a "complete works", since some material is a "work in progress" and the intention is that more will be added over time.

I will now hand over to "cabbage" to explain the workings behind the Wiki concept, which will help you understand how to make best use of the new site.

There is a small amount of work still to be done but we are "nearly there" and publication is imminent!

John Candy
My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

Offline cabbage

• G3 Society Member
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2018, 04:43:27 am »
Many of you will have used the worlds largest Wiki -Wikipedia. Our effort is nowhere near as large as that! Back in 2008, (more than 7 years ago), I looked through my fathers note books and apprentice books and thought "there should be more than me who could read them"...

Recently I was given some genuine LMS "Crimson Lake" but had no idea what to do with it other than the basics. "Leonard" was a paint shop apprentice at LMS Derby and DID know what to do with it and with his help I painted my six carriages with the Lake. Nobody ever wrote an apprentice book for it as, "that was how it had always been done", except  that the techniques had faded away before I was born. What Leonard thought of a spray gun...

The basic concept of a Wiki is that everybody knows something and here is where you place what you know for others to read. There is no concept of index or order as the Wiki Search Engine is the main source of information generation. There is nothing stopping you reading what is there from the sections held on it. If you think of it as a book shelf with post it notes in the pages then you have the concept.

So, when it is released sit down on your sofa, pick up a mug of tea, grab a few ginger nuts and have a read....

regards

ralph

Offline cabbage

• G3 Society Member
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2018, 09:05:29 am »
Something very similar to the PNGs below are what you will be looking at when using the Wiki.

As with any Wiki the "Search" function is your main source of entry. This I suppose concludes phase one of the Wiki. Now it has to grow by additions from the readers.

regards

ralph

Offline MikeWilliams

• G3 Forum Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2018, 09:22:07 am »
This looks very promising Ralph.

May I make a small request?  Could Section 2.2 use the word "transfer".  We are not American and hopefully never will be.

Mike

Offline John Candy

• G3 Forum Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2018, 10:23:15 am »
Mike,

I appreciate your comment but it is not a straightforward typing job to edit a section heading.
The structure of the Wiki software means deleting the section/page (with consequent upheaval to linked pages) and then writing a new section/page and restoring links on other pages.

I am struggling to find the time to finalize the content and deal with all the security/access permissions which still require software file editing.

A note will be made to look at the issue at a future update/revision..... there is provision in the system for "readers" to make suggestions/provide additional material.

Regards,
John.

Offline cabbage

• G3 Society Member
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2018, 11:29:52 am »
Mike,

Not being English nor speaking English as my native language -I do have some problems...
Which word should be converted to "Transfers" in Section 2?
I presume you mean "Decals" which is a French word?

regards

ralph

Offline MikeWilliams

• G3 Forum Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2018, 02:12:56 pm »
Yes Ralph, its American.  But not a big deal, only a suggestion.

Mike