• Welcome to The Forum for Gauge 3 Model Trains.

The Gauge 3 Society       2.1/2 inch Gauge Association       Cookies and privacy HOW TO JOIN: to request forum membership please click here

Gauge 3 Society members must be logged in to view the Society section
  G3 Clubroom

Welcome to the G3 Clubroom. This is the friendly online forum where members share ideas and inspiration, suggestions and advice, modelling tips, pictures and drawings, and general chat about our fine hobby of Gauge 3 railway modelling. A warm welcome, and enjoy your visit here today.

Platform truck/barrow

Started by Gavin_B, Jul 22 2017 17:35

« previous - next »

Gavin_B

Hi,

Am toying with attempting to make a platform truck/barrow based on this drawing.

http://www.lyrs.org.uk/images/uploads/Std_Platform_Truck_No_3_with_Low_Wheels_-_Dwg_10114.pdf

planning to do it with an etch and 3d printed parts.

What would the interest level be in this?

G

MikeWilliams

Excellent idea Gavin.  I'd buy one.

Mike

Traininvain

Jon Nazareth

LankyTank

Go on then......

Barry

MikeWilliams

Gavin,

This post is partly to keep your topic visible in the "recent posts" section, but also I wonder what your intentions are here.  I hope you will take a chance, make them and sell them yourself.  It would be good to see a new manufacturer build up a range of nice Gauge 3 offerings, especially non-GWR for a change.

If on the other hand you don't have enough expressions of interest to risk it or don't want the hassle of selling them, then provided your minimum requirement is reasonable – maybe 25? - I would be happy to support you by taking them all and offering alongside my own bits and bobs.

But, to repeat, I'd prefer to see you do this (and other things too!), but above all I'd like to see them made and available.

Mike

MikeWilliams

P.S. What about a horse drawn 4-wheeled parcels van made using the same materials?  Very common on all railways from at least 1880s to 1940s until displaced by mechanical horses.

I can supply drawings and photos if you are interested.

Mike

Andy B

I've been looking at, and have partially drawn up, a few horse drawn vehicles - from MR drawings.
At first sight, I thought they would be quite an easy item to make masters for and get cast - in resin and/or whitemetal.
However, there are a lot of details, in order to make a convincing miniature.

Where I'm really stumped is on the wheels, though.
The rims and hubs are easy - simply rotated profiles (though the hubs can be quite complex profiles).
But the spokes are something else!
In our scale, purely round or square spokes just don't look right.
Proper wooden road wheel spokes morph from a rectangular profile at the hub to a tapering teardrop shape. They also have a slight hollow in both sides in the rectangle-to-teardrop transition region.
I've had a few attempts at modelling them in 3D CAD (so that masters could be 3D printed) but have so far failed.
I think they may need a CAD tool that has full NURBS surfacing capabilities, and a modeller who can get their head around the complex shape. (... or a very tiny spokeshave and nimble fingers!)
Any offers?

Andy

Geoff Nicholls

It may be better not to produce a vehicle owned by a railway, as each railway's vehicles would be irritatingly different from the others. But how about a well known independent operator, like Pickfords?
As for wheels, although it would be difficult to produce, you actually only need to get one spoke correctly carved, probably in brass, then it can be cast many times in white metal. The interesting part would be the former to hold the rim, spokes and hub in place while the glue sets, to form the pattern for the whole wheel. Of course there are two different wheels, front and rear.
... or choose a wagon with simpler wheels.
Geoff.

Spitfire2865

Does anyone have drawings for a Midland build cart?
Wouldnt mind trying my hand at one, though wheels would be an issue.
-Trevor Young

John Candy

QuoteDoes anyone have drawings for a Midland build cart?
]

Yes, there are drawings of MR wagons and vans in "A Pictorial Record of LMS Road Vehicles" ...Nelson Twells and "Smokey" Bourne / OPC. They are to 7mm scale.

As Geoff has said, it would make sense to have a general "carter's" van such a Carter Paterson, Pickfords, etc.
In fact, a "flat" wagon to take any removal firm's furniture containers would be even better.

John.
My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

Gavin_B

Hi all,

Real life got in the way so not had chance to reply.  Given the level of interest am going to go ahead and produce this.   Wheels could be a challenge but now I have my own 3d printer am sure I can get something to work.

I have also produced some 3d printed bits such as Barrels, milk churns, crates and pallet which am hoping to photograph today as well.

Watch this space!

MikeWilliams

Barrels and milkchurns sound like ones we already make.

Mike

Gavin_B

Same but different I hope,   I have done the 10 Gallon churn and a 55 gallon oil drum.

Jon Nazareth

Whatever vehicle is proposed in G3 would be a bonus as there is so little out there.  I am still looking for a good carriage but I won't hold my breath at that one  :)

Jon