Author Topic: Machine tool paint?  (Read 1073 times)

Offline Peaky 556

Machine tool paint?
« on: August 06, 2017, 09:39:41 PM »
A little off topic I know, but I could do with some of the typical greeny-grey or olive green paint used by British machine tool manufacturers of the past.  Mine will be for a Kerrys drill, but I recall Colchesters being a similar colour.  Any suggestions for a source?  Thanks, Tim

Offline John Candy

Re: Machine tool paint?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2017, 09:44:07 PM »
My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

Offline Andy B

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2017, 10:20:31 PM »
2 sources I know of - Paragon, as John suggested, also:
http://www.craftmasterpaints.co.uk/colours/stationary-engine-colours
The have machine tool manufacturers listed under the 'Stationary Engine' section.
Andy

Offline IanT

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2017, 11:39:12 PM »
I've used Engine Enamel from 'Narrowboat Paints' in the past Tim (e.g. Myford Grey) - but they have been absorbed (consumed?) by Symphony Paints. Last year I ordered some Coronet Red from Symphony and they requested a paint sample (which I supplied). It was not described as "Engine Enamel" but I was assured it was essentially the same spec as of old. The paint was delivered in about a week but it was not a great colour match I'm afraid. I've used it (as I was re-painting the whole machine) and it seems to cover very well and be good quality & hard wearing - so it's OK from that point of view.

However, Craftmaster Paints list Engine Enamels and I shall probably try them if I need a good colour match in future...

Regards,

IanT
Nothing's ever Easy - At least the first time around.

Offline Peaky 556

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2017, 11:55:06 PM »
Thanks guys.  Nothing similar at Craftmaster, but at Paragon it could be something between Harrison Lathe Beige and Boxford Olive Beige.  I'll have another look tomorrow.  I doubt I'd find anything as drab in the Halfords car paint range, unless maybe an oldie Landrover!
Regards, Tim

Offline midnight miller

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2017, 06:07:34 PM »
Hello All

You could try Myford at Mythholmroyd will be an 01422 number or look on ebay , the rebuild machines are now a sort of vomit green in colour . The old ones are a dark grey . I thing they sell paint .
Other than that try Grey Ferguson tractor paint or something Royal Navy surplus  .

John

Offline midnight miller

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2017, 06:10:08 PM »
Ought to add the Harrison and Myford in the shed are grey as god intended !

Offline Peaky 556

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2017, 08:33:22 PM »
Not sure I fancy "vomit green" though!  I have a sample of some kind of machinery green coming, and I am joining this forum which, at first glance, is full of intelligent people with a love of old machine tools! ????
http://www.homeworkshop.org.uk/index.php