• Welcome to The Forum for Gauge 3 Model Trains.

The Gauge 3 Society       2.1/2 inch Gauge Association       Cookies and privacy HOW TO JOIN: to request forum membership please click here

Gauge 3 Society members must be logged in to view the Society section
  G3 Clubroom

Welcome to the G3 Clubroom. This is the friendly online forum where members share ideas and inspiration, suggestions and advice, modelling tips, pictures and drawings, and general chat about our fine hobby of Gauge 3 railway modelling. A warm welcome, and enjoy your visit here today.

Machine tool paint?

Started by Peaky 556, Aug 06 2017 21:39

« previous - next »

Peaky 556

A little off topic I know, but I could do with some of the typical greeny-grey or olive green paint used by British machine tool manufacturers of the past.  Mine will be for a Kerrys drill, but I recall Colchesters being a similar colour.  Any suggestions for a source?  Thanks, Tim

John Candy

My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

Andy B

2 sources I know of - Paragon, as John suggested, also:
http://www.craftmasterpaints.co.uk/colours/stationary-engine-colours
The have machine tool manufacturers listed under the 'Stationary Engine' section.
Andy

IanT

I've used Engine Enamel from 'Narrowboat Paints' in the past Tim (e.g. Myford Grey) - but they have been absorbed (consumed?) by Symphony Paints. Last year I ordered some Coronet Red from Symphony and they requested a paint sample (which I supplied). It was not described as "Engine Enamel" but I was assured it was essentially the same spec as of old. The paint was delivered in about a week but it was not a great colour match I'm afraid. I've used it (as I was re-painting the whole machine) and it seems to cover very well and be good quality & hard wearing - so it's OK from that point of view.

However, Craftmaster Paints list Engine Enamels and I shall probably try them if I need a good colour match in future...

Regards,

IanT
Nothing's ever Easy - At least the first time around.

Peaky 556

Thanks guys.  Nothing similar at Craftmaster, but at Paragon it could be something between Harrison Lathe Beige and Boxford Olive Beige.  I'll have another look tomorrow.  I doubt I'd find anything as drab in the Halfords car paint range, unless maybe an oldie Landrover!
Regards, Tim

midnight miller

Hello All

You could try Myford at Mythholmroyd will be an 01422 number or look on ebay , the rebuild machines are now a sort of vomit green in colour . The old ones are a dark grey . I thing they sell paint .
Other than that try Grey Ferguson tractor paint or something Royal Navy surplus  .

John

midnight miller

Ought to add the Harrison and Myford in the shed are grey as god intended !

Peaky 556

Not sure I fancy "vomit green" though!  I have a sample of some kind of machinery green coming, and I am joining this forum which, at first glance, is full of intelligent people with a love of old machine tools! ????
http://www.homeworkshop.org.uk/index.php